starting strength gym

Thread: Long-term bench programming help

Default Long-term bench programming help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read PPST3 many times and have been enjoying applying so many Starting Strength methodologies to my training. I've also been reading and watching a lot of the content Andy and Nick have produced.

I'm happy with my long-term plan for OHP. Currently doing 3x5 Wendnesday, 7x1 on Friday and when i stall i will up to a 5x5.

For Bench I was adding 1kg 2x a week on 3x5 after finishing a cut. Once i got back to my previous level after a couple of weeks and it getting harder, I decided it was time to stop. I switched to a 5x5 Monday (90kg), 3x5 (97kg) Friday . I managed the 3x5 fairly easily but the next Monday bench session where i planned to do a 90kg x 5 set and then ramp up to 92.5kg for the remaining four sets, it felt like too much of a jump, and rather than go for 91kg 5x5 i decided to stay at 90kg and see how i get on Friday (aiming for 3x5 98kg). Now, I'm aware that the first obvious thing is that Texas Method says that i should be doing 1x5 (not 3x5), but I was also thinking that maybe my 5x5s are maybe too close to my intensity sets? I understand that that's not following the program as displayed in the book, but as i've also been reading the forums and looking into Andy Bakers stuff, i've seen the suggestion of 3 intensity sets along with a volume day of 5x5 in his heavy-light/upper-lower videos. In these videos he also mentions that it will only work for a short time so overall i'm just a bit all over the place with my bench programming at the moment and would like some tough love in the right direction.

Whilst i'm here i have two other questions, i'm often in the gym on a 4th day as the missus wants me out of the house for an hour! I put my chins on this day, along with a bit of bicep work, some facepulls (which I find are epic for my shoulder health), and I was wondering if i'm okay to add some 3x8 RDLs? My Wednesday Deadlift is starting to slow anyway so feel that incorporating RDLs may help a bit.

Last question is probably a simple one to answer. I currently do chins Monday and Saturday, Rows on Wednesday. Does it matter where i schedule them? Someone told me that putting Rows a couple of day before Deadlifts is dumb so i've ended up with 2 chin session within 48hours.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by pownaime View Post
    For Bench I was adding 1kg 2x a week on 3x5 after finishing a cut.
    In January, you mentioned that you were 200 at 5'10", with an estimated max squat of 240. Tough to address programming questions without current numbers.

He's not doing the program, at all. That, and the "cut" is kinda the explanation for 240 at 200.

Which bootleg Great Value knockoff of PPST3 did you get? Cause that random mix of exercises, sets, reps, and loading progression sure aint in the real thing.

I followed the program to a tee after losing a quick little bit of weight, just a short 6-week cut. I'm 33 and was not concerned about putting progress on pause to improve body composition a little, i'm not interested in 10-15% AT ALL, but I was starting to look closer to 25-30% - which with my "low" numbers was just a bloated mess. My numbers stayed for the most part the same.

My low squat numbers aren't to do with not following the program, or indeed the cut. I had/have severe digestive issues and suffered from extremely painful hemorrhoids which have since been sorted. My squat progress is exploding doing 3x5 2x a week at the moment, I do the light day Wednesday as it helps me psychologically and allows me to be fresher for the football (soccer) team I coach later in the evening. 5kg/10lbs a week is epic progress for me right now and I'm excited to see how long that can continue as I work my body weight up over the next couple of months. Deadlifts are doing okay but I'm having to switch to 2.5kg/5lb a week as 5kg doesn't seem possible anymore which is fine as my 1RM is over 400lb anyway. This should allow me to continue to progress and have my squat catch up.

Happy with OHP too using Nick D's regular suggestions of having the 2x for the pressing movements, which is surely still following the program moving into intermediate training for Upper Body lifts? Doing the 7x1 on the Friday is an amazing form trainer and it allows me to absolutely smash my 3x5s and just as he said it wouldn't doesn't affect recovery at all as the stress is so low.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed with the bench options, that's all.

I'm trying my best to re-regulate my bench to Starting Strength. I did 90kg 5x5 on Monday whilst in a bit of limbo, today thought just in case I still have some novice gains left to do a 3x5 100kg, I managed 4, 5, 4 but feel like I failed mostly due to a form issue. I will go for 5,5,5 on Monday and try for 101kg 3x5 on Friday. Does that sound smart? And when i fail go to 3x3 two times a week?