starting strength gym

Thread: 4day Texas split?

Default 4day Texas split?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I have been training according to the Texas method for about 2 years. I just can't get the regeneration going anymore. 2 kids and too much work. now I would go on the 4 day Texas split suggested by Rip. but there are different variations. which one would be good for me? wants to keep training hard
    Age 37
    5'10"
    250lbs

Squat
    5x5 507lbs
    1x5 562lbs
    1x 600lbs

Deadlift
    1x5 577lbs
    1x 605lbs

Bench
    5x5 304lbs
    1x5 326lbs
    1x 363lbs

Overheadpress
    5x5 211lbs
    1x5 231lbs
    1x 265lbs

Pullups 3x9

Pretty damn good job here of getting strong on the TM! It's definitely likely time for a 4-day split and probably even some monthly programming (if not now then soon). Especially if you keep running into the same walls again and again.

So the basic formula I like for more advanced guys would be something like this:

Monday - Intensity Bench, Volume Press, Upper Assistance (dips, triceps, etc)

Tuesday - Intensity Squat, Volume Squat, Pull Ups / Rows

Thursday - Intensity Press, Volume Bench Press, Upper Assistance (dips, triceps, etc)

Friday - Light Squat, Intensity Deadlift, Volume Deads/Pulls

I like to consolidate ALL the hard squat work to one day and all the hard DL work to one day for bigger stronger guys. Makes recovery easier. For upper body, it tends to do well to have the frequency at twice per week for each lift. You'll still squat 2x/week here but the 2nd workout is just a light squat, which serves as a great warm up for the deadlift.

For your intensity work you probably want to start using a few more 1-3 rep sets rotated in there with 5RMs for some exposure to heavier loads. We give several examples of how to do this in the grey book. For the Deadlift volume.....you likely don't need as much as the other lifts. It might be something simple like working up to a top set of 1-3 and then doing a back off set of 5. Or sometimes what I'll do if I want more than that is something that looks like this:

495 x 3
    455 x 5
    405 x 5 (from a 2" deficit)

Im in the book #2 Variation thus week
    Bench5x5
    Ohp 3x8
    LTE 3x10

Squat5x5
    Cleans5x3
    Pullups3x10
    Hams3x10

Bench5x1
    Ohp3-5rm
    Dips3x15

Squat5rm
    Dead5rm
    Rows3x10

OK thx. I will Test then your Variation. No Cleans and snatches anymore?