starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any good assistance exercises to replace dips?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    If you're already doing LTEs and it's working then why do you need another similar assistance exercise?

I found push presses were helpful for increasing lockout strength since it's basically a heave up of the bar near your eye level and then locking out a heavy ass weight. More fun than a pin press and they also broke some monotony. I now fully expect to be taken out back by Rip or a SSC and promptly shot for saying this.
    The problem I have with push presses is how much wider a grip I'd have to take to do them. To accommodate the length of my arm segments in a clean I have to take a grip basically as wide as my bench press on the bar. Even then, the thing is still pretty close to the neck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    The problem I have with push presses is how much wider a grip I'd have to take to do them. To accommodate the length of my arm segments in a clean I have to take a grip basically as wide as my bench press on the bar. Even then, the thing is still pretty close to the neck.
    That’s understandable, with my proportions I don’t need to widen my grip too much to get it to rest on my shoulders so it works pretty well. Can be a bit rough on the knees though if you’re not careful.

I think I’d stick to close grip or LTE in your case or even look at one of Andy Baker’s power building programs and see how he programs for a little additional arm work. Lots of free workouts he puts up on his blog. Have you tried close grips for heavy triples before?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12