• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am currently 71kg bodyweight.
    Squat 140kg x 5
    Press 50kg x 5
    Bench 75kg x 5
    Deadlift 155kg x 5
    Power clean 60kg x 3

I have been around about the same numbers give or take for the past two years. I have run them up to these and have had to have a couple of resets due to lock down. Covid. And a switch to HLM programming.

Pre Covid I was actively competing in BJJ and therefore had to keep my weight down to stay close to my weight class. I am also the typical person who enjoys having visible abs and is hesitant to gain weight due to previously being chubby.

I have not yet returned to BJJ and am still unsure if I will due to scheduling issues. However I am still a bit hesitant about weight gain.

I have concluded that due to my low weight class and want of abs I am an ‘artificial intermediate’. As in I am unable to add weight to the bar session to session. Whether this is due to legitimately being past the novice stage or because I need to gain weight I believe is a combination of both.

Therefore I am unsure of what my next steps should be.

Should I re start my LP and slowly come to terms with weight gain. Although I have to admit I would most probably not gain rapidly or a massive amount. I would most likely take a ‘lean bulk’ approach. And then progress through LP-HLM-4 day split.

Or should I continue with current intermediate programming (4 day split / HLM) and accept that my progress will be much slower.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How tall are you?

I am 5ft 8.

At 5'8" and 156, you are about 50 pounds underweight. You have some psych problems to deal with.

I thought so, thank you for clarifying.

Would you recommend gaining weight and then if I do return to competitive BJJ. To diet down and establish what my new weight class would be?

As I figured carrying on trying to stay near it is going to severely hinder my progress and make for a rough ride. Especially as I do not know if / when I will even compete again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas R View Post
    Would you recommend gaining weight and then if I do return to competitive BJJ. To diet down and establish what my new weight class would be?
    Doesn't matter what I tell you. Do what you think best.