starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rack Pulls and Haltings didn’t carry over to regular deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I guess this is what happens when you go too long without getting the right eyes on the lift. I’m going to be going to starting strength columbus gym after the meet and hopefully they can help me sort this out.

Thanks for the advice. I’m planning on squatting 275 for my 2nd attempt and hopefully around 280-285 for my 3rd so that would be rather disappointing to squat more than my deadlift but I suppose I’ll have to accept that possibility.

At your level, squat and deadlift are often nearly even.

Quote Originally Posted by mielkeman14 View Post
    Yngvi,
    How would you know what I can vs can’t do?
    You posted a long thread and videos of what you can and can't do.

No use going into hypotheticals on this one; You are not strong enough to keep your back set in extension while you are pulling your top single, so of course you won't be able to pull anywhere near 615 for a set of 5 on the rack pulls.

You must not have read my first post. I pulled 635 for 5 a couple weeks ago. The whole point of the post was that it didn’t carry over to my normal deadlift.

Ok.
    You are obviously much smarter than I am.
    Carry on.

You must not have read my first post. I pulled 635 for 5 a couple weeks ago. The whole point of the post was that it didn’t carry over to my normal deadlift.
    "Pulling" is not the same thing as "Pulling with you low back in extension"

I'm smart enough not to tell someone they can't pull 615 when in the opening post I said I pulled 635. If you want to give helpful advice, I appreciate it. But it seems like you just wanted to tell me how I was wrong. Either way I pulled 287.5kg (632.5lbs) at the meet. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Andrew and Rip's advice about getting my lower back tight. That was helpful. Your comments were not.

Either way I pulled 287.5kg (632.5lbs) at the meet.
    Impressive!

I'm smart enough not to tell someone they can't pull 615 when in the opening post I said I pulled 635. If you want to give helpful advice, I appreciate it. But it seems like you just wanted to tell me how I was wrong. Either way I pulled 287.5kg (632.5lbs) at the meet. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Andrew and Rip's advice about getting my lower back tight. That was helpful. Your comments were not.
    My sincerest apologies for not telling you only what you wanted to hear.
    I am terribly heartbroken you have decided to willfully misinterpret my comments and take them out of context to prove me wrong.
    I will never recover from this.
    Whatever shall I do???

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t think this was mentioned, but if I had to guess, you are not properly setting your low back in the halting deadlifts. The rounded back is easy to spot on the deadlift videos that you posted. Be sure to record your haltings as well so that you can look back after the set to see. If you can’t pull it with your lower back in hard extension then you likely need to drop the weight a little bit and work back up, continuing to only add weight when the low back looks good in the video. Then the haltings might carry over better to the deadlift.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast