starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Masters Squat Selection

Default Novice Masters Squat Selection

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I would really appreciate it if someone could get my head out of my ass.

I've been having a discussion with a fellow forum member about his use of the box squat for a trainee with insufficient "flexibility" to perform a regular squat. Based on my understanding of the various resources you have all been so kind as to put out on this topic, I cannot figure out why he has chosen to do this. I was under the impression that the only reason a novice would box squat would be to work on strengthening the ROM and standardizing the depth.

If this exercise was selected for a rank novice, it would almost certainly begin unweighted before the transition to regular weighted squats could be made. His trainee is loaded and squatting to a box that is being lowered from session to session. Wouldn't it be better to squat unloaded to a box if depth is the concern? Then squat the bar without the box once depth isn't the problem? I'm afraid that I've offended him but I genuinely just want to further my understanding.

Here's the discussion - 54 Year Old Female Training Log

Through 16 years of seminars, we have never found it necessary to use a box squat for any novice lifter.

Thanks, Rip!