starting strength gym

Thread: Question on workout.

Default Question on workout.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone, Joni here.
    I used to workout at home but I only had access to a Standard barbell and standard plates. In total I only had 110lb in total weight.
    Since I don't have a squat rack I had to clean the barbell and do front squats, finished that and then the standing press by cleaning the barbell again.
    Deadlift was like doing deficit deadlifts since the barbell was very low, at ankle level.
    Recently I joined a local gym and started the SS program described here in the website. Haven't bought the book yet.
    I'm 35 years old, 6''3, and 286lbs.
    These are my numbers since the beginning:
    Apr week 3 - Squat:205 Press:115 Dealift:245
    Apr week 4 - squat:215 Press:120 Deadlift:255
    May week 1 - Squat:225 Press:125 Deadlift:265
    May week 2 - Squat:235 Press:130 Deadlift:275
    May week 3 - Squat:245 Press:135 Deadlift:285
    May week 4 - Squat:255 Press:140 Deadlift:295

Yeah, I know those are PITYFUL numbers but I just started 6 weeks ago lifting properly following the SS videos and info in the website and Youtube.
    Last workout with Squats and Press felt hard in the last reps of each set. Deadlifts are always kind of easy for me.
    I follow the SS form on all lifts.
    My question is this...
    Should I just add only 5lb per lift (which is what I do on the standing press) or can I continue to add 10lb on what feels better?
    The deadlift feels superb and I guess I can continue to add 10lb for at least 2 or 3 weeks more.
    The squat is starting to feel kinda hard after 5 weeks of adding 10lb each week but they go up.
    What is your advice, Mark?
    Thanks for such great info on how to get stronger on us mere weak mortals.
    Best regards.

-Joni

Show us properly filmed videos of your lifts. Despite your height and body weight, it might be time to drop down from ten pound increases on the squat. Why are you not bench pressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Show us properly filmed videos of your lifts. Despite your height and body weight, it might be time to drop down from ten pound increases on the squat. Why are you not bench pressing?
    I don't bench because I have dislocated my right shoulder twice. I'm afraid it would happen again and lose my gains.
    I'll post videos on my lifts on this thread.
    Are you a SS coach?

He's a better coach than most SSCs. Do not look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.