starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I followed the NLP for 8 weeks and now I want to transition back to MMA classes

Default I followed the NLP for 8 weeks and now I want to transition back to MMA classes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Next week will be my 8th week following the SS NLP. The end of January I wanted to take a break from MMA class and commit to an8-12 week NLP. It took longer than expected to dedicate myself to at least 8 weeks. But now I want to get back on the mat, I’m worried about all the mat rust I’ll need to shake.

I am 37 6’ 250ish (fluffy)

Starting sets across: Squat-135 Press-95 Deadlift-185 Bench-155 (I intentionally started way lighter than I wanted)

Next week’s final work sets across (scheduled) Squat-300 Press-150 Deadlift-310 Bench-220

I feel like there’s still room to grow, especially on the Squat and Deadlift.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding programming to continue getting stronger while getting back into regular practice.

For what it’s worth I also had a few thoughts/concerns regarding this matter:
    During this time away from the mats I have been pigging out, which I rarely did previously. There’s a considerable difference of each training modality’s effects on my appetite. Typically when I’m training MMA I rarely had the appetite compared to my time just barbell training. I mention this because I’m concerned with how this might factor into the recovery for combining barbell and mma practice. That being said I also need to straighten out my diet. I got unnecessary fluffy the past 5 months.

Also I could setup a rough training plan that would involve MMA practice for a couple months alternating with a Barbell Program. Or something similar? My goal is amateur competition, and I have no prior experience accept for in house smokers, but I was a part of the competition sparring class. I’m waiting on Coach to tell me when I’m ready. But realistically I’m just having fun while my wife’s finishing her masters.

I hope that I provided enough useful information to form an appropriate and ideal response. I reviewed 10 prior pages, scanning for other relevant posts-so it doesn’t appear repetitive.

Thanks in advance

You are weak considering your size. The logic would indicate that you must invest more time in lift weights than throwing punches to the bag.

If you are not squatting eight inches too high, you can probably push the deadlift to 350 in a week, say 320, 335, 350.

If you google starting strength mma tons of articles and forum threads will come up. I wouldn’t worry about being rusty taking time off from mma, it comes back pretty quickly. You’ll probably get responses to finish your nlp which is probably right, but if you’re gonna train mma anyways then maybe do a hlm routine with lower volume. Personally I do ok with high intensity and low volume. I’m ok with being mediocre at both mma and strength training, since the social aspect and just fun of martial arts is something I can’t stay away from for any extended period of time.

It would be wise to push out a few more weeks of LP if you can. You should finish picking the low hanging fruit before you return to your sport. Alternatively (Perhaps ideally?), you could return to MMA for less volume/intensity than you normally do just to preserve your skill and social connections while still driving progress on the major movements.

Stopping the NLP now would be like leaving money on the table. You're right there, why not take it? You've got a few more "easy" pounds to eek out before you shift focus back to your sport. You'll find there wasn't a better way to improve all aspects of your skill than getting the rest of your LP done before adding too much practice back in.

My two cents, Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
    For what it’s worth I also had a few thoughts/concerns regarding this matter:
    During this time away from the mats I have been pigging out, which I rarely did previously. There’s a considerable difference of each training modality’s effects on my appetite. Typically when I’m training MMA I rarely had the appetite compared to my time just barbell training. I mention this because I’m concerned with how this might factor into the recovery for combining barbell and mma practice. That being said I also need to straighten out my diet. I got unnecessary fluffy the past 5 months.
    A Good read for this particular subject:
    Power Bellies | Carl Raghavan

You haven't mentioned how frequently you plan on training MMA.

Are you planning for a fight that you've signed up for or are considering signing up for?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

That seems to be the consensus, and I feel like an ass expecting something other than the obvious reply.

So I’ll try and stop being an ass and I will take another 4 weeks. I enjoy lifting so it’s not a huge compromise.

Thanks to all for their considerations!

I’ll check in once I’m back on the mats. Maybe I’ll get some different feed back?

I would be training 5 days a week, 3 days a week minimum but always Friday (Spar). The Gym I was at previously (Coastal Combat) has Grappling M/W Striking T/Th and Sparring /F/. I would meet up for 1 on 1 training atleast 1x a week.

There are some other gyms relatively close by I might check out. But I really liked the coach and team members so I’ll likely return.

I have not signed up for any competitions, and it would be at least a couple of months before I would consider or ask if there’s something available. I haven’t trained since January, just Barbell training and eating

If you practice MMA in a judicious way, I wouldn't expect 3 days a week to ruin your LP if you're eating and sleeping enough especially if you're not signed up for a fight. You just can't afford to practice with 100% intensity every single MMA class - particularly at your age. You'll accrue injuries.

However, the safest bet is to finish out LP and really get the most out of it that you can, then go back to MMA after you transition to intermediate. This is what I'd recommend based on what you've told us.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    If you practice MMA in a judicious way, I wouldn't expect 3 days a week to ruin your LP if you're eating and sleeping enough especially if you're not signed up for a fight. You just can't afford to practice with 100% intensity every single MMA class - particularly at your age. You'll accrue injuries.

However, the safest bet is to finish out LP and really get the most out of it that you can, then go back to MMA after you transition to intermediate. This is what I'd recommend based on what you've told us.
    Thanks for replying Coach, and yes at my age I definitely vary the degree of intensity on the mat. But even in my late twenties I learned to do this; due to constantly having a lower back spasm. Certainly these days I have one hard rolling day, and then just play and flow the rest of the time (tap early etc) Fridays I’m usually asking my partner to go at a moderate speed. But sometimes there are guys getting ready for competition, and due to my size they don’t hold back (mostly light-welterweights) So I try avoid them 😂 but it’s hard to turn down when they ask, or if Coach’s rotating us in the Tank.

Would Online coaching be recommended? I’m sure y’all are looking for customers 😆 No SS gyms near me yet. Pricing? Or should I inquire directly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast