starting strength gym

Thread: 45 never lifted and pitiful!

Default 45 never lifted and pitiful!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, I just finished my 2nd day of the NLP. I knew I was weak, but not this weak. I'm 5'10, 180, 45 with a cush desk job and have not lifted since I was 17. I was 200 at the beginning of May and started hiking/sprinting the mountains by my house every day which led to a quick 20lb loss. I'm still fat at 180. I have a free gym at work an used it twice last week. On Thursday I did about 10 squat reps at 100(smith), then 5 bad reps at 145(Smith), then about 3 reps with a kettlebell. That was my first time ever doing any squats and I could barely walk down the stairs by the time I left work. Over the weekend I got a squat stand, bench and weights. My set did not include any 2.5 or 5 lb plates, so I've ordered those up. Anyway here's the embarrassing start. On Monday I was still feeling the effects of my first workout last week, and only squated 65lbs. I pressed 65 too, but that was because the next step up with the plates I currently have would be 95 which I can't do. I feel like 75-80 would be a good start for me. For the deadlift I only put 115 on there. Today I squated 115, and it was tough for me. I didn't get all the way down on my last 2 reps of the 3rd set. For bench I started at 135, but dropped to 115 after the 4th rep. 115 was too light, but I didn't have any other options so I did 8 reps per set. For the deadlift I lifted 165, and about a 1/4 of the way up on the 5th rep I started lifting with my back. I should have stopped but I didn't and it left my lower back a little sore. I must be pretty bad for my bench reps to be easier than my squat reps at the same weight. Now I'm off to hike up to the ridge with me sore back, but that's ok I'm obsessed with getting into much better shape.

Sounds like you only have one set of 10’s, so you will need to order two sets of 5’s to make the barbell math work.

But stop worrying about how weak you are. Start with appropriate weights, do the program, and you won’t be weak for long.

You are correct, only one set of 10s. I ordered 4x2.5 + 4x5. I should be good until I'm moving 265, which I think will be a while.

Is it ok to work out biceps and triceps on my off days while doing NLP? Or even doing them on the same days as NLP?