starting strength gym

Thread: Breathing in the deadlift

Question Breathing in the deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hello,
    this is my first thread here
    I have been finding it difficult to take a deep breath and squeeze my abs after setting my back. I have no problem taking a deep breath using valsalva maneuver that allows me to squeeze my abs while squatting or benching. I tried breathing from both my nose and mouth; still feel not enough air is being inhaled and my abs are not squeezed enough while in floor position of the deadlift. My main concern is that I think it is the reason I me dizzy while deadlifting after around 2 reps.

I am not sure if it really helps but i am at 220 lbs
    squat is 315 lbs
    bench at 250 lbs
    deadlift at 350 lbs

Thank you so much for your help!

As it says in the book: get in position, take a big breath through your mouth, squeeze everything tight, and then push the floor.

What I do is get in the correct position, then straighten my knees to give my belly and chest some room to get a breath in, take that big breath, get right back into the correct position, tighten up, and then pull. I've also found the swinging my belt around so the buckle is facing back gives me more belly room in the starting position.

What Rob Plano said. I take my deep breath before the final step of setting my back into normal anatomical extension.

Hey you can try loosen your belt one hole if you're using one. I wear my belt a bit higher in the deadlift and using the same belt hole with the squat I felt could not get enough air. Your dizziness probably came from squeezing your mouth and face too hard instead of just the throat. If so, this will help a lot.