starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate Programming Olympic Lifts

Default Intermediate Programming Olympic Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm rapidly approaching the end of LP here. Not quite finished yet, but since I have some interest in joining an Olympic lifting meet, I wanted to see if my thought process was alright for the programming after the NLP is milked out.

Monday
    C&J: 15 Singles
    Power Snatch: 8 doubles

Tuesday

Bench: 1 triple
    Squat: 5x5
    Press: 5x5

Thursday
    Week 1
    C&J: max
    Full Snatch: max
    Front Squat: 3 triples
    Overhead squat: 3 doubles

Alternate weekly with:

Week 2
    Deadlift: 1 set of 5
    Front Squat: 3 triples
    Overhead squat: 3 doubles

Saturday
    Squat: 1 set of 5
    Press: 5 singles
    Bench: 5x5

The "expanded Texas method for Olympic lifting" llisted in the gray book seemed to completely axe the bench press. Wasn't really interested in dropping it completely since I am not Lu xiao Jun. I'd like to keep my numbers high on the 4 main lifts and the 2 Olympic lifts.

Not sure if the deadlift will need to switch for rackpull/haltings soon.

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

If you are going to join an Olympic lifting meet, then you need to change a few things.

1st- Snatch first. There are times later in your programming that you will focus on the Clean and Jerk for that day. Every other day though, you need to Snatch first.
    2nd- You need to do the lifts more frequently. Only doing the lifts 2x a week isn’t enough. You need to be doing the lifts 4x a week.
    3rd- Because these lifts need to be done often and heavy, you will have to adjust the main lifts to make sure you can recover for the next workout. This will most likely mean having to do singles, doubles and triples on these lifts. No more than 3 sets usually too. This will let you continue to push your strength while you practice the Olympic lifts.
    4th- Keep the bench in once a week or every other week. I like to still do bench once a week.
    5th- Need to do heavy front squats once a week and it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a top single on OHS once a week.
    6th- Lastly, when you change your program up after NLP, you might have to do a small reset on the deadlifts to adjust to the pulling volume you will be doing. Start with deadlift and then when you start to stall on it, go to rackpulls and haltings. Make sure you are alternating those weekly.
    Lastly, I would highly recommend hiring a coach if you don’t already have one to help you through mechanical errors of these lifts (which will affect your programming) and to help make adjustments weekly if not daily.