starting strength gym

Thread: Am I an advanced novice??

Default Am I an advanced novice??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, good people from SS.
    I've been doing the novice program now for 10 weeks and before that I used to train at home with only 110lbs.
    Since I joined a local gym I went from 205lb on the squat to 285lb, from 115lb on the standing press to 155lb, and from 245lb on the deadlift to 325lb.
    I haven't bench pressed because I've had 2 shoulder dislocations and I'm afraid I can dislocate my shoulder again.
    Since I started I trained with 10lb jumps in the squat and deadlift for about 8 weeks straight.
    Last 2 weeks I did the recommended 5lb jumps in both the squat and deadlift.
    I have felt really tired and sore in the last 3 weeks of training (I haven't implemented the power clean)...
    Is it because I'm not recovering from the deadlift and needed to implement the power clean from the get go?
    Also, my lower back hurts when I squat and my last 2 weeks of workout with the squat have been rather difficult....
    Is it because I only warm up doing 2x5 with the empty bar and after that I jump right into the 285lb squat?
    Should I also warm up for the standing press? Last workout felt pretty brutal and I failed on it.
    Thanks in advance, SS people!
    God bless.

PS: I'm 35 years old, 6'3 and 290lb BW.

Quote Originally Posted by guiTarmaN View Post
    I have felt really tired and sore in the last 3 weeks of training (I haven't implemented the power clean)...
    Is it because I'm not recovering from the deadlift and needed to implement the power clean from the get go?
    Also, my lower back hurts when I squat and my last 2 weeks of workout with the squat have been rather difficult....
    Is it because I only warm up doing 2x5 with the empty bar and after that I jump right into the 285lb squat?
    Should I also warm up for the standing press? Last workout felt pretty brutal and I failed on it.
    Troll. And not a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by guiTarmaN View Post
    Hello, good people from SS.
    I've been doing the novice program now for 10 weeks and before that I used to train at home with only 110lbs.
    Since I joined a local gym I went from 205lb on the squat to 285lb, from 115lb on the standing press to 155lb, and from 245lb on the deadlift to 325lb.
    I haven't bench pressed because I've had 2 shoulder dislocations and I'm afraid I can dislocate my shoulder again.
    Since I started I trained with 10lb jumps in the squat and deadlift for about 8 weeks straight.
    Last 2 weeks I did the recommended 5lb jumps in both the squat and deadlift.
    Thanks in advance, SS people!
    God bless.

"Now, we don't have time unpack ALL of that"

I apologize if my thread seems like I'm trolling but I'm not. I just want to know if I started doing the novice program wrong. I got pretty strong on the Squat, press and deadlift because I used to workout but didn't have access to heavier plates.

Really going from warm up sets with an empty bar, straight to loading it at 285? Is that what you are saying?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Really going from warm up sets with an empty bar, straight to loading it at 285? Is that what you are saying?
    I think it's more confusing that he insists on doing 2 full warm up sets with an empty bar and nothing else. If you're really trying to save time, just go ahead and do the 285.

Since I joined a local gym I went from 205lb on the squat to 285lb

I'm curious as to what the OP thinks "advanced novice" is.

Quote Originally Posted by amilner View Post
    I'm curious as to what the OP thinks "advanced novice" is.
    It's in the PPFST book page 164.

starting strength coach development program
    All joking aside, start doing your warmup sets. Going straight from the empty bar to 285 lbs is suicide...how have you not snapped the spine straight out of your back yet?

How to Warmup for Barbell Training | Grant Broggi

Best of luck, and be thankful you didn't seriously hurt yourself.