starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming confusion and low bodyweight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your questions were in fact answered. You just didn't like the answers. Back up 15 pounds on all the lifts, eat like you mean it, and run the NLP as written.
    Thanks Coach! I'll follow that strategy, I like all of your writings and I'm sorry for being rude with stupid questions, I was just so exhausted after last weeks deadlift I was afraid to overreach and burn again, thanks for bullying the snowflake out of me.
    God bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Yaron_Peretz View Post
    First of all thank you very much for the response, would you mind expanding on that a little?
    Assuming I'm following exactly what you said, do you mean I should start from square 1 deadlifting 3 times a week or is there a more specific phase I should go back to?
    And also how big should my reset be if I'm transferring back to fives instead of threes?
    Step One - now that your situation has changed, start eating like an asshole - Eating Through the Sticking Points. This fits into question three of The First Three Questions, which @alexmunropga@gmail.com referred to (and gave similar advice).

Step Two - don't reset. Assuming that you're doing Step One, continue to add weight to the bar, but over the next couple of workouts, add those missing reps back in. If you're doing Step One, going from 275x3x3 to 280x4x3 and then 285x5x3 isn't going to break you. And since you've already worked in Power Cleans* for your light pulling day, continue with that and continue adding the reps to your Deadlift. If you are considering a reset, read The Reset: Why and How, then return to The First Three Questions.

Step Three - focus on your recovery, the most important part of your program (which covers Questions 1 & 3). This is something that I wish I had understood at your age. Don't add in extra lifting or other shenanigans. Read Rips article on Recovery and Growth.

*Power Cleans - why 2x4? If you flip through your books, you'll notice that it's triples. The reason for that is as these get heavy, your form breaks down rapidly with each repetition above three. When it gets really heavy, that breakdown happens after doubles, and then singles. If you're having significant form breakdown on your third set of five, then that would meet the criteria for a reset for that lift, according to The Reset article.
    I appreciate it very much Bill, I'll take what you said into account, definitely provided me with a couple of articles I didn't knew so I'll be sure to read that now.

As for the power cleans, it's a tailoring scheme from the book, and the only reason was that I had to make adjustments due to my weight, couldn't recover from 5*3

I jumped 6 lbs since posting this post only due to eating like a human again, so I hope my future posts/activity will be more giving than taking, once again thank you all for your time

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    do yot not want to bench two plates?
    I read online that 80% of bench press fatalities are above 225 lbs, so I'm just gonna do pilates for chest, so thank you but We got this
    On a serious note thanks for replying, I feel like Bill and Mark hit the mark with their answers, obviously your answer was right but incomplete for my small intellect who needed more guidance

Read it, all of my questions was NOT answered, which is why I posted this thread explaining my situation, bottom line is I'm not asking if I gained enough weight, I'm asking which phase of the NLP I should go back to
    “But I also failed my workouts and not sure if I should run the program again or move on to the TM”

I read this as you weren’t sure which program to run as you have been failing lifts…..which is exactly what it says, all of that is answered in the article. Sorry if that annoys you
    Actually it was my fault bro I thought you were hitting me with a simple YNDTP and misjudged your comment, milk is a bit more expensive here, I am doing PB&Honey sandwiches along with cake after dinner, if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them, Although Bill referenced a great article and I got some direction there... anyways I do appreciate your help and sorry for being rude

I read online that 80% of bench press fatalities are above 225 lbs, so I'm just gonna do pilates for chest, so thank you but We got this
    On a serious note thanks for replying, I feel like Bill and Mark hit the mark with their answers, obviously your answer was right but incomplete for my small intellect who needed more guidance
    You switched to triples far too soon. Back up, eat more and do your fives. I don’t even care about your squat and deadlift, I want your bench press at two plates for three sets of five, it will drastically change your appearance at your height and you will thank me for the comment later.

Thanks Coach! I'll follow that strategy, I like all of your writings and I'm sorry for being rude with stupid questions, I was just so exhausted after last weeks deadlift I was afraid to overreach and burn again, thanks for bullying the snowflake out of me.
    God bless you

I appreciate it very much Bill, I'll take what you said into account, definitely provided me with a couple of articles I didn't knew so I'll be sure to read that now.

As for the power cleans, it's a tailoring scheme from the book, and the only reason was that I had to make adjustments due to my weight, couldn't recover from 5*3

I jumped 6 lbs since posting this post only due to eating like a human again, so I hope my future posts/activity will be more giving than taking, once again thank you all for your time

Actually it was my fault bro I thought you were hitting me with a simple YNDTP and misjudged your comment, milk is a bit more expensive here, I am doing PB&Honey sandwiches along with cake after dinner, if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them, Although Bill referenced a great article and I got some direction there... anyways I do appreciate your help and sorry for being rude

No problem at all! In terms of eating i’m 6,3 and 245, still a way to go but I used to be around 190. What I found really helped was tracking my calories using my fitness pal. It helped me get into the habit of eating when i need to, not when I want to.

Some go-to meals I use when trying to gain weight, 6 eggs with cheese and 2 slices of toast for breakfast. I also eat a lot of chicken thighs/drumsticks. Being darker meat they are much higher in calories, flavour and still high in protein, also tend to be much cheaper than chicken breast. I also drink a big shake before bed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmunropga@gmail.com View Post
    No problem at all! In terms of eating i’m 6,3 and 245, still a way to go but I used to be around 190. What I found really helped was tracking my calories using my fitness pal. It helped me get into the habit of eating when i need to, not when I want to.

Some go-to meals I use when trying to gain weight, 6 eggs with cheese and 2 slices of toast for breakfast. I also eat a lot of chicken thighs/drumsticks. Being darker meat they are much higher in calories, flavour and still high in protein, also tend to be much cheaper than chicken breast. I also drink a big shake before bed.
    Thanks you today was the first session for the week, felt great, but I wanted to make sure that we agreed I'd deadlift again on Wednesday, not alternating with the cleans yet, is that true?
    Btw I also do thighs and drumsticks, can't stand lean cuts anyway, and I'll be sure to give eggs another go for breakfast, do you use any specific source for carbs in the shake?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You switched to triples far too soon. Back up, eat more and do your fives. I don’t even care about your squat and deadlift, I want your bench press at two plates for three sets of five, it will drastically change your appearance at your height and you will thank me for the comment later.
    Will do chief

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12