starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming confusion and low bodyweight

Default Programming confusion and low bodyweight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, I'm 5,6/152/29 yearsold, Read both books and couldn't figure out what should be the next step for my situation

I've Been doing the program for a while now, even though I've had issues with having enough food, kind of a best of the worst situation, I did manage to gain 25 lbs though.
    This week my issues were solved, But I also failed my workouts and not sure if I should run the program again or move on to the TM

This week I failed on the first workout so I tried to run at 70% for the week but that didn't seem to help at all
    My numbers of last week were (following the 5 lbs a workout rule and 10 lbs for the deadlift)
    SQ: 275 3x3
    DL: 330X3
    BP: 200 3X3
    Press: 135 3x3
    Chin ups: +65 3x3
    PowerCleans: 150 2X4

Assuming I can now gain all the weight I need, which program should I run? I'm shooting to gain around 50 lbs of bodyweight

Thanks you everyone in advance

You should do the program from the blue book.

As Jovan said.

You aren't even close to a situation where you would/should consider moving on to TM. There are plenty of examples of lifters in their 40's here who run their NLP to much larger numbers, where your top numbers are warmups for them. And the only thing that they did differently is that they did the program (which includes gaining weight). You've gained 25lbs, now try to gain another 25lbs while running a proper NLP.

You should do the program from the blue book.
    That was the direction I was hoping to go, thank you

As Jovan said.

You aren't even close to a situation where you would/should consider moving on to TM. There are plenty of examples of lifters in their 40's here who run their NLP to much larger numbers, where your top numbers are warmups for them. And the only thing that they did differently is that they did the program (which includes gaining weight). You've gained 25lbs, now try to gain another 25lbs while running a proper NLP.
    First of all thank you very much for the response, would you mind expanding on that a little?
    Assuming I'm following exactly what you said, do you mean I should start from square 1 deadlifting 3 times a week or is there a more specific phase I should go back to?
    And also how big should my reset be if I'm transferring back to fives instead of threes?

You should really read the article “the 3 questions” all your questions will be answered. I think bottom line is to eat a lot more, get your body weight up and do the NLP. At 5,9 you need to get to 200 quickly and get your lifts up. Have you been doing GOMAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaron_Peretz View Post
    First of all thank you very much for the response, would you mind expanding on that a little?
    Assuming I'm following exactly what you said, do you mean I should start from square 1 deadlifting 3 times a week or is there a more specific phase I should go back to?
    And also how big should my reset be if I'm transferring back to fives instead of threes?
    Step One - now that your situation has changed, start eating like an asshole - Eating Through the Sticking Points. This fits into question three of The First Three Questions, which @alexmunropga@gmail.com referred to (and gave similar advice).

Step Two - don't reset. Assuming that you're doing Step One, continue to add weight to the bar, but over the next couple of workouts, add those missing reps back in. If you're doing Step One, going from 275x3x3 to 280x4x3 and then 285x5x3 isn't going to break you. And since you've already worked in Power Cleans* for your light pulling day, continue with that and continue adding the reps to your Deadlift. If you are considering a reset, read The Reset: Why and How, then return to The First Three Questions.

Step Three - focus on your recovery, the most important part of your program (which covers Questions 1 & 3). This is something that I wish I had understood at your age. Don't add in extra lifting or other shenanigans. Read Rips article on Recovery and Growth.

*Power Cleans - why 2x4? If you flip through your books, you'll notice that it's triples. The reason for that is as these get heavy, your form breaks down rapidly with each repetition above three. When it gets really heavy, that breakdown happens after doubles, and then singles. If you're having significant form breakdown on your third set of five, then that would meet the criteria for a reset for that lift, according to The Reset article.

You should really read the article “the 3 questions” all your questions will be answered. I think bottom line is to eat a lot more, get your body weight up and do the NLP. At 5,9 you need to get to 200 quickly and get your lifts up. Have you been doing GOMAD?
    Read it, all of my questions was NOT answered, which is why I posted this thread explaining my situation, bottom line is I'm not asking if I gained enough weight, I'm asking which phase of the NLP I should go back to

Read it, all of my questions was NOT answered, which is why I posted this thread explaining my situation, bottom line is I'm not asking if I gained enough weight, I'm asking which phase of the NLP I should go back to
    Your questions were in fact answered. You just didn't like the answers. Back up 15 pounds on all the lifts, eat like you mean it, and run the NLP as written.

“But I also failed my workouts and not sure if I should run the program again or move on to the TM”

I read this as you weren’t sure which program to run as you have been failing lifts…..which is exactly what it says, all of that is answered in the article. Sorry if that annoys you

starting strength coach development program
    do yot not want to bench two plates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast