starting strength gym

Thread: 5x3 alternative?

Default 5x3 alternative?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm now squatting 290lb but doing 3x5 is quite difficult for me. I can do the first set but next set I can only perform 3 reps on the squat.
    What do you recommend? I'm guessing 5x3 would be more possible for me...
    Same happens to my Standing Press.

If you're solid on the first three questions the next step for squat programming would be to do 2 back off sets at 90% after the top set, but typically you'd get there around 50 lbs heavier on your squat. Some people can go longer. Probably why rip sent you the first 3 questions.

Overhead press is usually the first to stall. You can lower the jumps to 2 or 2.5 lbs and switch to getting 15 total reps anyway you can get them.

What's your height and bodyweight? When you approach the advanced novice level, it can get harder to gain weight. You're bigger and can maintain weight on a pretty large number of calories. You may have to add even more calories in to continue to gain.Your lifts will not go up if you are not gaining weight at this point.

I'm 6'3, 293lb

How long have you been training? Assuming it is none of the factors within the 3 questions, have you had your form looked at?

About 11 weeks.

What happens when you attempt the 4th rep on your second set?

starting strength coach development program
    Ok so yeah, first 3 questions need answering. Either you aren’t resting enough, not getting recovered between sessions. If you genuinely feel like you answer yes to all 3 questions the get your form looked at by a coach. At your height and weight, you should not be stuck at 290 squat. How old are you, possible testosterone deficiency?