starting strength gym

Thread: Another YNDTP but please have mercy (Texas Method)

Default Another YNDTP but please have mercy (Texas Method)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi gang,

Height: 5 foot 7
    Bodyweight: 80 - 81kg (176.37lb)

Currently running the Texas Method on abit of time-crunch due to the opening hours of my gym and a busy life currently. I've had to make a few changes:

Tuesday
    Volume
    Squat 4 x 5 90%
    OHP 5 X 5 90%

Thursday
    Recovery
    2 x 5 Light squats (80% of the 90%)
    Bench 5 x 5 90% (I saw on the youtube channel you can make your upper body numbers improve by doing Volume OHP AND Bench in the same week)
    1 x 5 Deadlift at 90%

Saturday
    Intensity
    What I'm aiming for but I have been missing the odd rep recently:
    2 x 3 Deadlift 100%
    5 x 1 OHP 100% (I really suck at OHP)
    2 x 3 Squat 100%
    2 x 3 Bench 100%

Recent PRs:
    1 x 2 Deadlift @ 225kg (496.04lb) followed by 2 x 2 @ 226kg (498.245lb)
    5 x 1 OHP @ 74kg (163.142lb) (I really suck at OHP - I think I need coaching on it)
    1 x 3 Squat @ 192.5 f(424.38lb) followed by 1 x 2 @ 193kg and 1 x 1 @ @ 193kg (425.49lb)
    2 x 3 Bench 113kg (249.12lb)

I took a week long deload on the volume work by 5% to see if I could push the intensity day up but not much luck (I actually had a terrible day squatting but I dunno if I was just having an off day).

I'm trying to be competitive in the 83kg weight class at lifting meets hence the low bodyweight - but I guess I am getting to the edge of what I can realistically lift? - I will try and add on a few more KG.

Do you think I would benefit from doing 5 x 5 squats at 90% as the program prescribes? (I think I can find the time if I really race around during the day - when I first started 5 x 5 beat the crap outta me). I've been going off what I read online (and this extremely helpful video: ) but I have now actually ordered Practical Programming.

Reading the the book in its entirety should clear most of your questions up. If you are on a time crunch you could maybe look at the 4 day split as it shortens the sessions (although it’s a 4 day program) and makes the workload far more manageable in terms of recovery. Volume day on Texas method is savage unless you are eating like a horse and sleeping like a baby. Has your bodyweight been increasing? 176lbs at 5,7, you probably need to be getting up to 190-200 as fast as possible.

You're not recovering from Saturday.

If you're looking to compete at 85, then get into 85.

My guess is you aren't eating enough. That recovery day doesn't look very recoveryish. I'd swap the deadlift for a power clean or lighter pull and add calories.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did 5 x 5 squats last week and hit a PR (2 x 2 @ 194kg) on the intensity day so it definitely had a positive effect.

I'm just reading over Practical Programming now - would you guys say that doing the volume AND intensity Press+ Bench in the same week is a bad idea? (as i've outlined above) - I'm starting to think my bench is stalling as i'm too knackared from the intensity press earlier in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Pucknell View Post

I did 5 x 5 squats last week and hit a PR (2 x 2 @ 194kg) on the intensity day so it definitely had a positive effect.

I'm just reading over Practical Programming now - would you guys say that doing the volume AND intensity Press+ Bench in the same week is a bad idea? (as i've outlined above) - I'm starting to think my bench is stalling as i'm too knackared from the intensity press earlier in the day.
    Alright here's the video where i picked it up - doing the condensed approach to Texas Method:

And the article: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

I was hoping I could sneak out of doing all the work on intensity day since doing all 4 lifts usually takes me 4 hours ;( - but it seems like I should either stay the course and run it out or switch to the 4 day split..hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Pucknell View Post

5 singles at 163 lbs for a guy that can deadlift 500lbs isn't all that stressful and shouldn't interfere with your intensity bench. Generally speaking, upper body lifts need more work, not less when you stall, especially when you're only pressing 163 lbs. You need to be working bench and press twice a week. I work both per week and am seeing steady progress.

If you're serious about programming and competing, you gotta read PPST3e, probably more than once. Like the others said, it will clear a lot of things up.

I do think you'd benefit from a 4-day split, having read PPST3e. You're strong enough where loading so much tonnage on your one day might be too much to handle. The grey book talks about reasons to switch.

If you get bigger, you will lift more weight. I don't know jack shit about competing, so I have no clue what the optimal bodyweight/weightclass is for you.

Being 225 lbs and having a lower squat and deadlift, I am amazed by you powerlifting types. Hats off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    5 singles at 163 lbs for a guy that can deadlift 500lbs isn't all that stressful and shouldn't interfere with your intensity bench. Generally speaking, upper body lifts need more work, not less when you stall, especially when you're only pressing 163 lbs. You need to be working bench and press twice a week. I work both per week and am seeing steady progress.

If you're serious about programming and competing, you gotta read PPST3e, probably more than once. Like the others said, it will clear a lot of things up.

I do think you'd benefit from a 4-day split, having read PPST3e. You're strong enough where loading so much tonnage on your one day might be too much to handle. The grey book talks about reasons to switch.

If you get bigger, you will lift more weight. I don't know jack shit about competing, so I have no clue what the optimal bodyweight/weightclass is for you.

Being 225 lbs and having a lower squat and deadlift, I am amazed by you powerlifting types. Hats off to you.
    Thanks dude - i bet you will catch me up in no time!

Yeah i had a great intensity day last weekend but today it all went wrong on the squats - i only managed 1 x 194 and failed on the pins twice 😳

This leads me to believe im not recovering from the intensity day as others have said.

I think i will switch to the 4 day version in the interests of time and recovery - its just going to be a shock starting my workouts with an intensity lift.

I will try and take the eating on board - think eggy bread everyday for breakfast is in order.

Oops replied with my old account above /\/\

From reading over Practical Programming more this evening I think I would benefit from maybe trying the Phase 3 method discussed in the book and cycling intensity day so its not so horrible going into my work sets on the Saturday (rather than jumping straight into the split Texas Method):

Monday
    Squat 70%x5x5
    Press 70%x5x5
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 3x5

Wednesday
    Squat 80%x5x2 of Monday
    Bench Press 3x5
    Power Clean 3x3

Friday
    Squat 90%x3 / 93%x2x2 / 96%x1x5
    Press 90%x3 / 93%x2x2 / 96%x1x5
    Deadlift 1x3 / 1x2 / 1x1

Its almost like doing additional warm ups to get my mind right before the singles. Knowing my mind and body I might try something like 80% 5 x 5 on the volume day followed by 95% x 3 then all out 100% singles x 3 on the intensity day.

My first stab at trying to eat more will be eggy bread for breakfast everyday instead of the current cereal.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah this absolutely sounds like a recovery issue.
    Running Texas method without being bang on with recovery is suicide. Do you track your macros? Myfitnesspal is pretty good, I have been using it religiously for the past couple of years and it’s made it so much easier to keep my recovery on point. This evening for example I realised I was 30 grams below my protein amount, so made myself a massive sandwich and a pint of milk before bed. Intensity day tomorrow so no excuses now!