starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going the extra rep

Default going the extra rep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Likely of no great significance, but much of the programming is 3 sets of 5. SO today I addded my 2.5 kgs to the squat and seeing as I was so fat and bloated and culd hardly get the belt on I felt pretty strong. I did the first two sets of 5 and as is often the case with my squat lt felt pretty good on the last set - always the case, first work set is laboured, its like lead - apply heat and it is beautiful runny silver - and did 6 reps. I doubt it is a deal breaker but just in case I am misjudging, is it OK to extend to 6 or more reps on the last set? Anyway lots of love for the starting strength approach and its advocates.

Quote Originally Posted by stevein7 View Post
    I doubt it is a deal breaker but just in case I am misjudging, is it OK to extend to 6 or more reps on the last set? Anyway lots of love for the starting strength approach and its advocates.
    If your only concern is today's workout, then it's fine. But that's not really training, per se. What if you got 9 reps? Would that have an effect on the next workout? Best to save the extra rep for the next 2.5k jump, when you'll need it.

Doing extra increasingly runs the risk of overtraining as you gain strength. Irrelevant for a novice, more dangerous for an advanced trainee who is using very heavy workloads, pushing absolute limits. Explained in PPST3e if you wanna know more.

Page number? I seem to be in a slightly strange situation. Upper body I am going slow - ohp currenty 55k x 3 sets of 5, bench 100k 3 sets of 5 and I am just adding 0.5k per session. Deadlift too feels pretty tough, 170 x5, adding 1kg per session. Squat however is, I feel, a different story. 115kg 3 sets of 5 today, a 5kg jump from last time. I think what is happening is I am recovering from a lot of running ( trained for a 1 hour 10k) and I am getting a rebound effect where the squat is going up a bit faster. Currently I do the NLP and nothing else, no conditioning.

Your squat is going up quickly because it is weak. 1 kg jumps on the deadlift are illegal.

Age/Height/Weight? First Three Questions?

Chapter 2 on Adaptation deals with overtraining, but you don't need to worry about as a novice.

Likely of no great significance, but much of the programming is 3 sets of 5. SO today I addded my 2.5 kgs to the squat and seeing as I was so fat and bloated and culd hardly get the belt on I felt pretty strong. I did the first two sets of 5 and as is often the case with my squat lt felt pretty good on the last set - always the case, first work set is laboured, its like lead - apply heat and it is beautiful runny silver - and did 6 reps. I doubt it is a deal breaker but just in case I am misjudging, is it OK to extend to 6 or more reps on the last set? Anyway lots of love for the starting strength approach and its advocates.
    This is an opportunity to establish a wholly mental discipline. You will need it to run deep later.

First shalt thou take out the Holy Bar, then shalt thou count to five reps, no more, no less. Five shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be five. Six shalt thou not count, neither count thou four, excepting that thou then proceed to five. Seven is right out. Once the number five, being the fifth number, be reached, then thou rackest the bar.

As a person who lives in Yorksire, UK, that almost sounded like local speech. I thank thee.

starting strength coach development program
    As a person who lives in Yorksire, UK, that almost sounded like local speech. I thank thee.
    And I thank Monty Python.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast