starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incorporating Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Thank you. I’ll get on that ASAP!

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Out of curiosity, what other pitfalls do you think you have fallen into by overdoing things, if you’re willing to share? I’d love to learn how to avoid those, as I imagine I’m prone to the same errors.
    I’d say transitioning into intermediate (weekly increases) training I made similar errors. The same for moving to biweekly increases. I’ve found that learning to recognize when that time has come can be difficult. I had never switched to biweekly training until I had an online coach do it for me. Having someone else do your programming for you can be invaluable.

Rip and SS Community: Thanks for your insight as I begin alternating Deadlifting with Power Cleans every-other-workout.

One more question: How many worksets of how many reps should I be doing? I am using the SS app, and it has me doing 5 sets of 3 reps (5x3). However, in the blue book, the hypothetical novice Young Angus McSmart does 3x3. Is one better than the other? Does it change when I become a little bit less of a novice with PC?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Rip and SS Community: Thanks for your insight as I begin alternating Deadlifting with Power Cleans every-other-workout.

One more question: How many worksets of how many reps should I be doing? I am using the SS app, and it has me doing 5 sets of 3 reps (5x3). However, in the blue book, the hypothetical novice Young Angus McSmart does 3x3. Is one better than the other? Does it change when I become a little bit less of a novice with PC?
    Can you quote the precise pages on the blue book where it says that? Cause I don't remember it at all.
    In the grey book, which is about the programming, it does say 5 sets of 3, and it is optimal when you introduce them. The Power Clean is highly dependent on technique. The more reps you can do at first, the faster you learn. Eventually you can decrease volume by switching to a 4x2 or 3x3

starting strength coach development program
    There's probably a very narrow window where 3x3 is preferable to 5x3. I would just start with the 5x3 to avoid having to think about it. The 5 sets will give you more practice with the movement even if the minimum effective dose might be less when the weight is low.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12