starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incorporating Power Cleans

Default Incorporating Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    According to the sacred Blue Book, when running the NLP, one should incorporate power cleans once “the back is no longer recovery fast enough between every deadlift workout” (paraphrased). What are the signs that my back isn’t recovering fast enough between workouts?

For deadlifts, my past worksets have been as follows:
    300 (5)
    305 (2)
    305 (5)
    310 (3)
    310 (3)
    310 (5)
    315 (3)

Does this mean that my back isn’t recovering fast enough? Or I’m just wussing out (doesn’t feel like it—when I fail, I feel confident that either (a) I’m spent or (b) I’m going to have terrible form on my last few reps).

Thank you for your insight, Rip.

How often are you deadlifting? First Three Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How often are you deadlifting? First Three Questions?
    I am deadlifting every workout. My job requires me to have a crazier schedule during the summer, and thus I’m averaging only 2 sessions per week. Starting Monday I’m expecting to get back to 3 per week.

3Qs: 5 minutes of rest between all worksets, including between my last DL warm-up set and my sole workset; Only 5lb jumps; Averaging over 8 hours of sleep. I am not tracking calories fastidiously, but I am gaining a little over 1 pound per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I did in fact re-read that article before I posted my first response, and have just re-read it again. I’m still not quite sure what you’re getting at, as I don’t feel like I’m really violating any advice contained within The First Three Questions. Sorry, but I’ll need a bit of specificity.

Rest more than 5 minutes? Gain more than 1 pound per week? Average more than 8.5 hours of sleep? Get back on the grind of 3 workouts per week?

Thanks!

From the article:

So you do whatever you have to do to make this happen, and it’s quite obvious that if resting 7 minutes between sets alleviates the fatigue from the previous set, which is necessary to complete all three sets of 5, then you rest 7 minutes. Maybe 8. We’ll get hot, sweaty, and out of breath later – now, we’re getting big and strong.
    Try 10 minutes. And the program includes power cleans as a light day pulling exercise, so you don't deadlift every workout. I can write the book for you, but I can't read it for you.

Thank you, Rip. I’ll try resting 10 minutes between my final warm-up set and my workset for deadlift.

And you’re right (shocker), the book does include power cleans as a light day pulling exercise. But the book also recommends that initially, when following the NLP, a novice deadlifts every workout until the novice’s back isn’t recovering in time for the next workout (I promise, I try to read and re-read the book/pertinent articles before posting on this forum and taking your time, ha!) So I have been following that advice. It would seem, based on your response, it’s time for me to start power cleaning every-other workout.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Thank you, Rip. I’ll try resting 10 minutes between my final warm-up set and my workset for deadlift.

And you’re right (shocker), the book does include power cleans as a light day pulling exercise. But the book also recommends that initially, when following the NLP, a novice deadlifts every workout until the novice’s back isn’t recovering in time for the next workout (I promise, I try to read and re-read the book/pertinent articles before posting on this forum and taking your time, ha!) So I have been following that advice. It would seem, based on your response, it’s time for me to start power cleaning every-other workout.
    It is definitely time for a light pulling day, and likely has been for a while.

In PP the "well executed novice linear progression" example shows deadlifts done every day for only two weeks before alternating with power cleans.
    I've been far more masochistic in my programming in the past until I more closely followed this example.
    I realize it's just an example and not a direct prescription, but it gave me the general idea a lot better than my own poor perception of how taxing the deadlift was actually becoming.
    I might have overdone a few other things trying not to be a pussy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    It is definitely time for a light pulling day, and likely has been for a while.
    Thank you. I’ll get on that ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    In PP the "well executed novice linear progression" example shows deadlifts done every day for only two weeks before alternating with power cleans.
    I've been far more masochistic in my programming in the past until I more closely followed this example.
    I realize it's just an example and not a direct prescription, but it gave me the general idea a lot better than my own poor perception of how taxing the deadlift was actually becoming.
    I might have overdone a few other things trying not to be a pussy.
    I appreciate you sharing your experience. Out of curiosity, what other pitfalls do you think you have fallen into by overdoing things, if you’re willing to share? I’d love to learn how to avoid those, as I imagine I’m prone to the same errors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast