starting strength gym

Thread: Smart programming or am I being a wuss?

Default Smart programming or am I being a wuss?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys! To get this started, here are my stats:

40 Male, 210 lbs.
    SQ: 405
    DL: 455
    BP: 235
    OHP: 165

To keep this as short as possible, I am trying to justify moving to an intermediate program “early” (on SQ/DL at least).

I am coming back from a long layoff last year where Covid kicked my ass. I literally lost 45 lbs. during the 1 month bout where I was hospitalized returning to my pre-lifting 20 something year old weight of 164 lbs. before resuming training I have naturally gained weight back to ~185 lbs.

After being cleared 3 months ago, I started my NLP from scratch. Moving through the phases from the GREY book (yes I’m old now).

First fast lasted me a couple weeks, so did the second, and I got some good progression out of the third phase that elongates pulling intervals. Recovery is a major issue for me. I go through bouts where I’m on the road almost a month at a time. On these trips, I am not in the same location, and have long legs of travel during the week. Despite this, I’ve continued to make progress by switching to the last phase of NLP (light middle day) as it allows me to get at least 1 heavy workout at home, and sometimes 2. I perform the light workout while on the road during the week optimally.

Recently, as the weight has started to become a grind, some weeks I outright have no gas, and my workouts suck. If I’m home I’m fine, as I can control all aspects of recovery. The bad workouts always follow a week where I’m on the road getting jet lag from coast to coast flights, bad hotel sleep, and shitty food.

This past week is what made me consider moving to a full HLM or GGW (I own all of Andy Bakers programs) format. My recovery was so bad, I couldn’t even lift my 5 lb. progression weight for a triple, and directly after the workout an old injury in my hip I haven’t felt in years cropped up and kept me from sleeping the rest of the week.

I am near my all time best lifts that were attained through a good year and a half of consistent lifting intermediate through Covid (full time working at home). NLP could still get me some weight on the bar as weeks that I am home I am not stalling or feel even close to it.

Am I just being a wuss, or am I being smart in avoiding potential injury by moving to Intermediate? The justification being that I can always perform the Heavy day at home (Sunday) after getting at least two nights of home sleep (Friday/Saturday). Worst case, I may have to perform a Medium day on the road Thursday morning. The light day will always fall on the road on Tuesday’s.

1st, Are you eating enough? If that's not the issue then I'm 40 and at a 405 squat I started doing one set of 5 and two sets at 365. Progress continued from there for awhile. I'd try that before changing anything else. It's in the gray book and Nick has talked about it in detail in one of the podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    1st, Are you eating enough? If that's not the issue then I'm 40 and at a 405 squat, I started doing one set of 5 and two sets at 365. Progress continued from there for a while. I'd try that before changing anything else. It's in the gray book and Nick has talked about it in detail in one of the podcasts.
    Again, the issue is travel. If I'm home, I'm eating about 4-5k Cals a day 250-300 Grams of protein (can't do many carbs as I'm diabetic). If I'm traveling (could be on 8-hour flights and such), I get my ass kicked with 2k Cal days, and inadequate protein most days of the week.

So basically 1 top set and 2 back-offs? Would you change it based on how you're feeling (IE if I'm home I can probably hit the weight 3x5 if I'm on the road 1 top, plus 10% 2x5 backoffs).

Hadn't considered that adjustment from the grey book and sounds like a good plan of action. Congrats on the 4 plates!

Also, one follow-up question. I believe this modification is in the book before switching to the final phase (with the light Wednesday squat, and single heavy pull 1x a week). Is this working for you in the Advanced Masters Novice Program (2D)? Seems like a huge reduction in Squat intensity with just 2 heavy squats per week (Mon/Fri).

I would stick with the back ups once I started. Just worry about moving that top set up 5# and enjoy the break during strong days.

I own Barbell Prescription but haven't read it yet. I'm doing some combination of a linear progression and 4 day split. If you read the beginning of the gray book it might help give you clarity on how to balance stress and recovery.

Also maybe check with Santana on your carb intake because it sounds like you're under carbed and he might be able to help.

I don't think you are being a wuss. Sorry to hear about your COVID bout.

If your lifestyle is a fixed/unchangeable reality, it will come with costs to your training and simply has to be trained around. I would say, optimize recovery the best you can despite your schedule, work through all the NLP tricks and make sure you are answering the first 3 questions, and then when it's time, move on. Without using it as a blatant excuse, it's better to move on a bit early than have to reset again and again or possibly hurt yourself.

It sounds like you have tried the tricks and that an old injury is flaring up? Sounds like it's time to move on and in that case, I would do some kind of split routine that works with your schedule and possibly get some input from a SCC on the forum or in a private consultation on how to best design that for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    I don't think you are being a wuss. Sorry to hear about your COVID bout.

If your lifestyle is a fixed/unchangeable reality, it will come with costs to your training and simply has to be trained around. I would say, optimize recovery the best you can despite your schedule, work through all the NLP tricks and make sure you are answering the first 3 questions, and then when it's time, move on. Without using it as a blatant excuse, it's better to move on a bit early than have to reset again and again or possibly hurt yourself.

It sounds like you have tried the tricks and that an old injury is flaring up? Sounds like it's time to move on and in that case, I would do some kind of split routine that works with your schedule and possibly get some input from a SCC on the forum or in a private consultation on how to best design that for your needs.
    Thanks John. I spoke directly with Mr. Baker and he recommended I run his Classic HLM for 12 weeks to see if I can get the recovery I need and make some progress. First workout is today .

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck!