starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate programming

Default Intermediate programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I am the guy who wrote a couple weeks ago about my uneven bench press. I am writing to you today about something that I don't know why I have delay so much to ask about, but today is the day. I have reach a couple of times, the point where I should switch to an intermediate programming but I have failed in my approaches. I am going to give you the info necessary about me to give you some context.

Name: Patricio Melendez
    Nationality : Peruvian
    Weight: 98 kg / 215Lb
    Height: 5'11''
    Read your books: Twice each, and multiple times some parts
    Train people: 5 persons, with success until reaching intermediate with a couple of them, obviously because I don't even know how to train myself as an intermediate.
    Nutrition: I eat between 200 gr and 220 gr of protein every day, directly from meat, eggs and pork. No supplements.
    Technic: I know is not very humbling from me to say, but I try to be perfect on my technic and I follow all the advice on the books.
    Pr's:

1) Squat: 150 Kg / 330 Lb - 3 reps - 1 set
    2) Deadlift: 167.5 Kg / 368.5 Lb -3 reps - 1 set
    3) OHP: 74 Kg / 162.8 Lb - 3 reps - 3 sets
    4) Bench: 120 Kg / 264 Lb - 3 reps - 3 sets
    5) Barbell row: 105 Kg / 231 Lb - 3 reps - 3 sets

3 different strategies that I have tried to go for an intermediate programing:

1) Number one: I have tried the Texas Method, but I found that the stress with the power cleans on Mondays was to much, I couldn't manage.
    2) Trying to do linear progression reducing my heavy sets to 1, with 3 reps. I have recently realize that I was being stupid, because that was very low volume.
    3) Trying to do my own version of the Texas Method, without the power clean, introducing a fourth day and the day that I squat heavy I add back of sets to increase volume. It looks something like this:

Monday:

- Squats 3 sets of 3 reps with 2 back of sets of 5 reps at 85%
    - OHP 3 sets of 3 reps.
    - Optional: deadlift variant

Wednesday:

- Squats 2 to 3 sets at 75% of Monday.
    - Bench press 3 sets of 5 reps.
    - Barbell row (volume): 3 sets of 8 reps

Friday:

- Squats 2.5 more or 5lb more then monday. 3 sets 3 reps with 2 back of sets of 5 reps at 85%
    - OHP 3 sets of 3 reps.
    - Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps.

Saturday:

- Bench press 3 sets of 5 reps.
    - Barbell row (heavy): 3 sets of 3 reps

So basically I want to be able to keep adding weight to the barbell, but it has being hard trying to find the best strategy to do it. I hope you can give me some advice in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I am going to try to go to one of the seminars as so as posible.

Hi Patricio,

I'm not Rip, obviously, but would like to join the discussion. My question is, why aren't you just doing the Texas Method or the Split Routine as described in the book. You say you are doing your own version of the Texas Method, but you really aren't. This deviates too far from the TM be called Texas Method. What you're doing is some kind of cross between a split routine and the NLP.

Remember that two things occur simultaneously when it's time for the novice to use intermediate programming. (1) The trainee requires more stress than what the NLP set-up is providing him and (2) when he applies that greater level of stress, he needs more time to recover from that stress.

How is that third strategy going? It seems to me, for the squat, you would be failing to provide enough stress with triples and backoffs sets to drive an adaptation. That's only 19 reps, 10 of which are back-off weight. A TM Monday would be 5x5 across, 25 repetitions.

Without getting too deep, I don’t think the PC was the excessive stressor.

But, let’s dig into this; please tell us how you began to fail reps on each lift leading to you wanting to go to intermediate programming. I think that’ll be a good way your plan your transition.

I do heavy 3 sets of 3 reps each Monday and Friday, Wednesday is light day. So actually is 18 heavy reps, and 20 back-off a week. And 15 reps more of light weight on Wednesday. I haven't tried TM for I while. I might tried again or a split.

My biggest problem is with the squat, when I get to 150Kg I never can do a second set of 3's and if I switch to only 1 set of 3's, when I get to 152.5 Kg I never can do 3 reps. First I thought that volume was the problem, but I have make adjustments like the back-off sets, the light day, and lifting heavy twice a week. But I don't feel any stronger.

Have you read Practical Programming?

Yes, 18 heavies and 20 back-offs but I'm not concerned about your weekly output because I don't think you're squat training is set up in a way that stress/fatigue accumulates and dissipates on a weekly basis for you to display a new PR.

What's happening is this: You're not stressing yourself enough at your level of adaptation to be able to do 150 kg for 3x3, and settling for only one triple at 150 kg only makes the problem worse - you have cut that day's tonnage into a third of what is was! How do you expect to drive an adaptation? Remember what I said about stress-recovery-adaptation above^.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it. So, which type of training would you recommend me? I am thinking of giving the Texas Method a second opportunity, but I am not sure if is my best option. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Have you read Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd ed.?

Hi Rip,

Yes, I have read the book.

I tried the Texas Method before a couple of years ago, than I had to stop lifting and now I am lifting again.

When I did it a couple of years ago I didn't felt any stronger, and failed my heavy Friday's but it was a while ago. So I guess I am going to try it again. I specially remember that the PC on Monday's were very demanding. Maybe I should try a split routine?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

starting strength coach development program
    You are 38. Do you have a job and a family? If so, probably a split routine.

Read the intermediate chapter in PPST3e. It will answer your questions. Read it. Read. It. (Read it.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast