starting strength gym

Thread: dumb question about lowering volume, just tell me why it would be wrong.

Default dumb question about lowering volume, just tell me why it would be wrong.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not saying I am planning to do this, and most research I come across supports the more volume approach, but if we simply worked up to a single top set of 5 and left it at that rather than 3 sets of 5, how would it affect the results. Would it mean that linear programming would stop working at a differnet point (i,e your top sets of 5 on each lift would be lower) or would it just take longer to get to the end of NLP? Is it possible that it would be a good start point for an absolute novice? Or maybe the older end? Or those who are just not all that driven to train, maybe doing a sport as well. I mean it would be easier, less taxing, less effort for a while to break in to lifting. All just speculation, and curiosity.

The program works optimally when done as written. Decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of trainees have vetted it, and it works like it's written. But you are free to repeat the experiment if you want to. I assure you that you will obtain the same results we all have.

It would provide less stress.

An absolute novice would still make some progress, as they would on any program, but would probably stall early. The extra sets to work on technique are very useful.

For an intermediate it would not provide enough stress to cause adaptation.

The only time I have done something similar is to try and maintain strength during a rowing season. It kinda worked, but in hindsight I would have like to try less endurance rowing to focus more on speed work and strength.