starting strength gym

Thread: 2 Day Sub-Maximal Program Help

Default 2 Day Sub-Maximal Program Help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

My schedule is about to pick up to the point where I'll only be able to afford to train 2 days per week. I need some suggestions for an intermediate trainee program that will enable me to continue to make progress, even if the progress super slow. And I also can't make these 2 to 2.5 hour sessions. I have a reasonable amount of time on Friday and Monday, and I may be able to squeeze in some press or bench work on Saturday (I'm hesitant to plan squats or deadlifts the day after Friday's squats or deadlifts because of recovery reasons). I realize this program will be sub-maximal, so I'm just trying to keep on a reasonable trajectory until time permits otherwise. I'm willing to sacrifice power cleans. Here are my numbers.

Age 38, 6'4" 240 pound man.
    Current Bench 5 x 5: 290 LBS
    Current Press 5 x 5: 175 LBS
    Current Squat 5 x 5: 290 LBS
    Current Deadlift: 390 LBS

Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

It would help to know what programming you're doing now.

I am doing something similar at the moment, although I'm still LPing everything except the press after a 4 month layoff due to illness. My recovery capacity isn't great yet, so I haven't been able to manage lifting with less than two rest days between workouts.

Day 1: Squat, Press intensity, Bench
    Day 2: Squat, Press Volume, Deadlift

Once the squat gets heavy enough I'll be doing volume on day 1 and intensity on day 2.

Note: I'm basically using the bench as an accessory at this point because of some shoulder issues.

I also superset my press and squat to save time.

Is there a reason you're squatting your bench?

Because I've been benching much longer than I've been squatting. And I've been benching since long before I knew about Starting Strength.

Do the program except do it 2 days a week instead of 3. It'll be a little slower progress, but it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by hacienda View Post
    Because I've been benching much longer than I've been squatting. And I've been benching since long before I knew about Starting Strength.
    Your body gets stronger overall
    There must be something wrong with your squat.

I was hoping for a little more info myself on this. Andy Baker has a good article on his website for twice a week workouts. Google: Training on Imperfect Schedules (Part 1): Training Twice Per Week

Based on your height and weight and age, could you not milk a bit more out of the NLP? If so perhaps do it 2 days a week, not optimal I know but certainly an option

starting strength coach development program
    I’ve been doing;

A-squat, bench, deadlift, press
    B-squat, bench, deadlift, chins

I just run this out like a regular LP until it morphs into a heavy/light setup once progress slows down.