starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from 5/3/1

Default Switching from 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am considering going off 5/3/1 to a program with more volume, and I have a question on where to start in terms of weight. I'm 42 and 175 lbs. I've done CrossFit on and off for that last 10 years, and I've done a couple of 6-8 months stints with SS, GSLP, and 5/3/1 in the last 5 years. I've been running 5/3/1 religiously since January and seeing good results. I did a cut using the RP app in the spring with good results and have been in maintenance since the end of May. I'm planning a bulking diet starting in September and think I would benefit from increase volume vs what I'm doing with 5/3/1. Is it possible to start a SS like LP without going all the way back to square one in terms of weight? I'm all for going slow (hence 5/3/1) but I am hitting rep and weight PR's every week and don't want to start over. So my question is, how do I establish a starting point for a SS LP?

TIA

What's your height?

What were your weights and reps for each 5/3/1 of your last cycle of squats for the intensity days?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

"A bulking diet"

I'm 5' 11".

Squat numbers for this cycle:

5+ was 200x5, 230x5, and 260x7 (PR)
    3+ was 215x3, 245x3, and 280x5 (PR)
    1+ is later this week and will be 230x5, 260x3, and 295 for likely 2-3 reps (need 4 to PR)

Thanks for the response.

This is internet programming babble. Have you read the books?

Yes, I have. My question is simply how to choose a starting weight. It would be easy to determine a 5RM squat I can handle for three sets across and go from there, but I'm wondering if I need to start at a lower weight.

You haven't read the books.

Ok, I guess the answer to my question must be obvious and I'm just missing it. There are examples in the books of guys my size beginning their NLP with a squat workout at 115-135lbs which may have been applicable had I learned about the SS NLP before I started the other program (definitely would have been applicable before dabbling in the slow lifts over the past few years in the inconsistent manner I mentioned in my first post). The information in Starting Strength and Practical Programming is very clear on how to increase load progressively and I understand YNDTP and am not looking for a shortcut. What I don't see is clear direction on establishing a starting weight. After reading the books, it is clear to me I should have been doing SS NLP all along but could use some advice on how to make the switch without regressing too much. If the answer is go back and start at 135lb I'm fine with that, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert in this area don't want to go that route if the right answer is to start at my current 5RMx3 and slowly add from there.

Re-read that part of the book. It's not about a specific weight, it's about what happens during the the last few reps of the set that's important, and using that information to set a starting point for yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabound View Post
    I'm 5' 11".

Squat numbers for this cycle:

5+ was 200x5, 230x5, and 260x7 (PR)
    3+ was 215x3, 245x3, and 280x5 (PR)
    1+ is later this week and will be 230x5, 260x3, and 295 for likely 2-3 reps (need 4 to PR)

Thanks for the response.
    If you came into my gym with these numbers - assuming you're squatting to depth and your technique doesn't look like shit - I'd probably start you at 260x5x3 for your first LP day.

At 5'11", 175lb, you absolutely need to be gaining weight when you do LP this time. During this LP, if you don't gain at least 20lb, you're missing a huge opportunity.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast