starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 by 5 on cleans?

Default 3 by 5 on cleans?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Did I miss something? I’m I the last one to the party? I keep noticing references to sets of 3 cleans instead of 5. In the book all I recall about this is saying the clean benefits from “more sets across” and the examples log and warmups show 3 by 5 instead of 5 by 3. But in the clean section and programming section I don’t see this specifically discussed. I haven’t fully read PractPro because I haven’t finished my NLP but I’m getting the feeling everyone knows something about clean programming I don’t. Is this why my clean works sets suck and I am have trouble keeping good form?

Where in the blue book does it suggest sets of 5 reps for power cleans?

I do not see anywhere in the blue book that suggests any specific number of reps for the power clean. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it would be done with 5 reps because that is what we use on all the other NLP lifts, but to be fair I don’t see any specific reference to 5 reps on any of the other lifts either, just the more general discussion of 5’s for work sets when training for strength on pages 301-303. And based on that I have been doing 5 reps on all the lifts. But I did notice in table 8-1 and figure 8-5 that 3 by 3 and 3 by 5 were used for the power clean, but I only noticed this later after hearing references to 3’s on the clean in various Starting Strength videos, so I went back and tried to find if the clean was programmed differently then the Squat, Press and Bench. How would you suggest that a novice program the Clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stewart 2 View Post
    Did I miss something? I’m I the last one to the party? I keep noticing references to sets of 3 cleans instead of 5. In the book all I recall about this is saying the clean benefits from “more sets across” and the examples log and warmups show 3 by 5 instead of 5 by 3. But in the clean section and programming section I don’t see this specifically discussed. I haven’t fully read PractPro because I haven’t finished my NLP but I’m getting the feeling everyone knows something about clean programming I don’t. Is this why my clean works sets suck and I am have trouble keeping good form?
    You're reading it backwards, it's reps x sets not sets x reps.

Yes that is the edition I have and that I am referring to and have read. I’m not sure what the disconnect is? Do you understand my question?

I bought the book I have now in my hand about 2 to 3 years ago and it’s 3rd Ed. and says inside 3rd revision. Is there a new version then that with more on the clean programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stewart 2 View Post
    I do not see anywhere in the blue book that suggests any specific number of reps for the power clean. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it would be done with 5 reps because that is what we use on all the other NLP lifts,
    The POWER clean requires higher level of technical execution that the slow lifts, and a much higher level of high motor requirement to "make the bar fly".

It is not a lift that will make you stronger or that will induce much (if any) hypertrophy.

That's why its triples.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    He's reading it the way he wants to. No one else is confused.

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t want to read it any particular way, and I’m not confused about reps times sets. I’m honored that you are taking the time to respond and I’m asking for clarity since the book leaves the point a little vague. I have read the book and I believe I understand what it’s saying but as a novice I know I have more to learn about the clean and I know you know more about it then I do. That’s why I’m asking for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Actually I’m not mixing that up, it’s a daily simple concept.

TheChubbyViking seems to have experienced the same confusion about this. I’ll bet out of all the bottom 3% out here I’m not the only idiot that’s confused! 🤣

Okay sounds good, so where did you learn that from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast