starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming, working as a sailor

Default Programming, working as a sailor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I work 2 weeks on/2 weeks of onboard a ship (no gym onboard, only dumbells). Linear progression worked out fine, after coming home from work I just started at the same weight that was used last session.

Now I am trying to find an intermediate program. I sticked with texas method 4 day split way to long (about 6 months) before I realised I was not getting anywhere. The soreness from a 5x5 squat first session after coming home made my legs not well functioning for a while. At the end of the 2 weeks home I had just managed to get back to where i was the last vacation.

So, anyone have an idea how to move on?

Right now I am trying to do linear progression the first week and the second week i transfer to intermediate. With this programming my plan is to increase the lifts with 1,25 to 2,5kg per month and that is fine with me as long as I am making progress. Do not know if this is a good approach, time will see. Let me know if you have any viewpoints or new program ideas.

I am a healthy 25 year old guy. My goal is to increase strength.

/Victor

Victor, nothing in this messy post indicates that you have read the books.

I have read Basic barbell training and Practical programming. It may be my comprehension of the books that fails. Thought it was worth to ask if someone had the same experience or some advice.

I wonder if Rip misread parts of your post, it seems reasonable to me and is not explictly answered by the books.

Maybe you could do something like this:

Week 1:
    Day 1: squat heavish, not a 5RM but 85-90% of your 5RM before the layoff for a set or two. It will feel awful and really heavy, but you won't miss the weights.
    Press 5x5

Day 2:
    Press intensity
    Bench 5x5

Day3:
    Squat a bit heavier than day 1
    Bench intensity
    Deadlift intensity

You could do then run the 4 day TM on the 2nd week. Idea being you give your squat a bit of a ranp up and keep lifting to just 3 days the first week. Press should be okay for a 5x5 first day back, and recovers so fast the intensity 2 days later should be fine. I've also found the deadlift isn't really impacted by two weeks off, but you'll have to try and see if you can hit PRs that first week. I've actually modeled this after my own programming, since I used to do a 4 day TM but learned the squat volume wasn't necessary for me, so I just hit a heavyish set or two before upperbody work. Works for me, and I have no issues doing a volume press 2 days before intensity press.

You are right, it is the squat that is the biggest issue. Guess I have to defy my ego and use the first week as a ramp up, at least for the squat.

Thanks man, will try this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor23 View Post
    I have read Basic barbell training and Practical programming. It may be my comprehension of the books that fails. Thought it was worth to ask if someone had the same experience or some advice.
    My comprehension skills are most certainly lacking so I'll ask one of my usual dumb questions. Am I understanding (probably not) that you can train for two weeks then must take two weeks off due to your job and that this is the normal rotation every month?

Yes that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor23 View Post
    Yes that is correct.
    Ouch, not ideal is it? I'm very glad to see you're looking for ways to get some training in the best you can. I imagine quite a few would throw in the towel altogether "until my circumstances improve" or some other similar excuse...I mean, reason. Good job and good luck!

No it is not ideal…But there are no excuses
    Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Can you do pullups/chins/dips (weighted) on board and use bands? How heavy are the dumbbells?
    You can certainly put in some decent upper body work without barbells. Check out Andy Baker's corona video.

What happens when you run LP for 2 weeks? I'm assuming you have tried this, because there's no reason to switch up programming until this doesn't work anymore. Do you stall on each exercise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast