starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Managing a program overhaul for a single lift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramingTheorist View Post
    To this end it would make sense that under-stressing the movement would be the problem. Another point for frequency.
    Another reason to do sets of 5, like it says in the books.

Completely agree.

Rip I have a question about something I read in PP, it’s from page 176 about phase II of Texas Method.

It reads, after an example chart about rotating intensity day from 1x5 to 2x3 etc:

“1RM attempt=505… At this point, the lifter might start the cycle over with a set of 5 on intensity day that reflects his new 1RM and maintains the volume day load”

I understand the logic for keeping volume day constant, and progressing with 5lbs a workout. What I do not understand is how to determine where to begin your next intensity cycle for sets of 5, based off the new 1RM.

starting strength coach development program
    At the point of lifting 505, you would have a new 1RM to base the weights off of - that section talks about cycling your reps on intensity day, say from 1 set of 5, next week set of 3, next week single, or something along those lines. There's a chart a page or two previous that gives rough guidelines of a weight for a set of 5,3,2, etc. based on a 1RM. If your weights go up and you finish the cycle at a 1RM higher than you had before, you have a new 1RM to base your next cycles from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12