starting strength gym

Thread: Am I wasting my time?

Default Am I wasting my time?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a novice. I detrained recently but I'm finally back on the right track.
    During my detraining I had time to reread the blue book and realize that I was initially training myself wrong. My squat caught up to my deadlift but I knew that something was off with that, so I pushed the gas on my deadlift and did a work set of four-hundred and five pounds by five reps. The number really isn't that important.

I believe I am reaching the Advanced Novice phase but maybe a bit earlier because I've been taking it easy on deadlift. I get more fatigued from my squats than my deadlift. I feel that I have a lot more to gain in my deadlift. I'm speculating that if I could accurately program it, I could earn a bit more strength from my deadlift, and translate that to my other lifts before I move to intermediate programming.

Is this unique? How does a lifter overcome this awkward hiccup in programming?

What’s your age, height, body weight and current numbers (aside deadlift) which you have provided? Have you answered the 3 questions?

Quote Originally Posted by AgreeResolveParticipate View Post
    During my detraining I had time to reread the blue book and realize that I was initially training myself wrong. My squat caught up to my deadlift but I knew that something was off with that, so I pushed the gas on my deadlift and did a work set of four-hundred and five pounds by five reps. The number really isn't that important.

I believe I am reaching the Advanced Novice phase but maybe a bit earlier because I've been taking it easy on deadlift. I get more fatigued from my squats than my deadlift. I feel that I have a lot more to gain in my deadlift. I'm speculating that if I could accurately program it, I could earn a bit more strength from my deadlift, and translate that to my other lifts before I move to intermediate programming.

Is somewhat common. Post more data as the previous poster suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by AgreeResolveParticipate View Post

I believe it's mentioned in the blue book that it's extremely rare for a lifter to transition from novice to intermediate all simultaneously - it's possible you may be nearing the end of your novice programming for your squat, where your deadlift is still moving up with novice programming.

If the undertrained deadlift did artificially limit your squat, just keep bumping up your deadlift in bigger jumps if you believe you can, and keep that squat going up too. If you start failing reps with your squat, deload and go back up, maybe the increased deadlift numbers will help push you past the original squat stall...if you even stall at all.

One weird trick I learned over the years is to have cake and custard for breakfast if you're stalling in LP. It got me to three plates for reps in squats.