starting strength gym

Thread: Increasing Pulling volume on TSFOSB

Default Increasing Pulling volume on TSFOSB

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BW: 220
    Training years: 2.5

My problem: I can not do HEAVY pulling off the floor without pain and I can not do ANY pulling off the floor after my heavy squat due to lower back fatigue.

My question: How can I add in some pulling volume and get back to progressing my lifts off the floor?

My pulling numbers are low because I hurt my back a few times the last couple months trying to progress my conventional dead lifts.
    I got my deadlift to 445x3 on TM.
    I am current using the TSFOSB template (4 day split).
    Here is the most recent two weeks of accumulation.
    I will only show the lower body days:

Accumulation:

W1Tues:

light squat 275x5x3
    rack pull 405x5
    chins bw 25 rep total

W1Fri:
    squat 315x5x5
    light haltings - back pain around 275 did not get past last warmup

W2Tues:
    light squat 275x5x3
    rack pull 405x5x2 ---- I tried to hit 425 but it would not break out the rack
    chins bw 30 reps total

W2Fri:
    squat 355x5x5 PR
    light haltings - back pain around 275 did not get past last warmup

I'd start by making sure your deadlift technique is correct with a form check.

But you can't really get stronger pulling lighter weights with more volume. Is your goal to do something in the mean time while you heal your back? Or is this a long term plan?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I am thinking short term the next 2-3 months, just to add in some lower back work and/or rehab my pulls off the floor.
    The problem is I can not keep my back tight in the bottom like I use too. I do not know if it is psychological or because my lower back is constantly fatigued from squats or what. I have no issues progressing squats.

One idea i had was to train RackPulls as my main lift that way I am still making progress in a heavy pull
    then do the heaviest Haltings I can do as either back off work or light work on my squat day.
    These Haltings are going to be like 250lbx8 starting out so I was thinking I would progress them up over 315x8 before I started alternating it with the RackPull as describe in PP. halting->rackpull->powershrug->rackpull

But really I am open to any idea.

In addition to addressing the obvious programming application errors outlined in the other thread, why don't you just squat and pull on different days?