starting strength gym

Thread: BW vs. Weight on the bar

Default BW vs. Weight on the bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am sure there are posts on this, I'm just not sure what to search or where to look in the SS book.

I'm stuck for the last week on most lifts at the novice level because I'm adding weight to the bar (5 lb increments) faster than I can gain body weight. I'm eating to discomfort daily but I can't keep up with the increase in weight on the bar. 38 male 5'10" 171 lbs (was 164 when I started in late Sept, so gained 7 lbs in ~ a month).

Press 85x5
    DL 225x5
    Sq 190x5
    BP - 125x5

What's the general policy on this, do I just move up more slowly, like only add 5 lb./week and proceed as normal otherwise? At these numbers I can just barely squeeze out the last reps really slowly. This is after warm up etc.

Thanks

I'm also curious what 'eating to discomfort' means.
    Just because you're eating to discomfort doesn't mean you are eating enough. Track your food reliably for a week or two. If you suck at recording food intake, I've found that taking pictures of every snack and meal is sometimes easier and helps you actually 'SEE' what you're consuming.

Post a video of your lifts so everyone can make sure your technique doesn't suck.

Ricepounder - the goal isn't to track BW with weight on the bar. Yes, you should be eating more, but your eating should be as fuel for your lifting. There's not a 1:1 ratio between BW and bar weight.

If you're stuck at those weights, it could be some combination of the following:
    - Your form sucks. Missing the groove on lifts can consistently cause you to miss reps. Video yourself and post in the technique channel for feedback.
    - You're severely undertrained. If you're 5'10" and 171, you're still too freaking skinny. You should be up around 215, honestly. In this case, keep eating, and keep lifting. If you hit a weight you fail on, try again next session. If you fail again, reset 10% and have another go. DO NOT move to intermediate programming yet, and DO NOT switch to 5lb per week.
    - Low T. You'll have to get it checked out.
    - Your sleep is garbage. Make sure you're sleeping enough to initiate sufficient recovery, and if you can't sleep enough, plan for another meal.

Hope that helps.