starting strength gym

Thread: Conditioning Question (using 400 m/Shuttle Runs)

Default Conditioning Question (using 400 m/Shuttle Runs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Can anyone provide some incite into appropriate programming for conditioning using 400 meter repeats and Shuttle Runs? Specifically how to make them progressive over time, and how to measure/track progress.

I would be training each method one day per week, concurrent with one Lift per day (weekends off) I already have been utilizing one lift per day template, during late morning to early afternoon Monday-Friday.

I’m currently practicing MMA in the evenings, 4-5 days per week (5-7 pm or 6-8 pm) and have been for the past two months.

I would like to incorporate running, without having to use the nonproductive ‘roadwork’ grind.

I have access to a track on the community Football/soccer field. The field/track surface is astro turf, so I also have a Bonus question regarding this: should I get some cleats or other appropriate foot wear for running on this surface?

You should always get the appropriate equipment for the activity you are performing and to accommodate the environment you are performing it in. What is your goal of the shuttle runs? What is your primary goal right now, it looks like you have a several wheels turning at once. Progressing these depends on the context in which they are being done.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You should always get the appropriate equipment for the activity you are performing and to accommodate the environment you are performing it in. What is your goal of the shuttle runs? What is your primary goal right now, it looks like you have a several wheels turning at once. Progressing these depends on the context in which they are being done.
    My goal for utilizing these 2 running methods would be to improve general conditioning. Which would in turn help support my fight practice.
    I’m asking about these two methods in particular because they were very briefly mentioned in Practical Programming, and I figured they would be most effective using the stress/recovery/adaptation model. Compared to longer duration steady state cardio methods. From my somewhat limited experience in the past (2-4 month periods) the shorter, harder runs seemed to benefit me more than the latter (2-4 mile runs)
    My primary goal is to improve my performance on sparring night (Fridays)