• starting strength seminar august 2024
    5’7, 200lbs
    250G protein, roughly 3000 cal daily.

Deadlift:
    PR: 1x1@475
    Monday: 2x3@85%
    Wednesday: 1x5@75%
    Friday: 1x1@PR, 1x2@90%

Parents won’t let me clean or snatch in their garage so it’s all deadlifts.

After a pretty slow rep (with good form) at 475 this past Friday I figured it was the right time to drop a workset. I’ve gone back and forth trying to decide if I should drop the heavy double on Friday, or one set of 3 on Monday.

So I’m looking for feedback. My deadlifts look, and feel most fatigued during the heavy triples on Monday by evidence of form videos, the double by comparison is challenging but not grueling. What makes more sense? Reducing the volume on Monday since I’m feeling most fatigued? Or try and prevent the problem by reducing the volume on Friday?

I’ve been running this format for a little over 2 months.

Not really anything to do with your question but why won't your parents let you do cleans? Just curious.

How much are you squatting in addition to this? You would probably benefit from deadlifting less than this and possibly using RDLs for your volume to give the back a break off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How much are you squatting in addition to this? You would probably benefit from deadlifting less than this and possibly using RDLs for your volume to give the back a break off the floor.
    Last week my squat work was:
    Monday: 5x5@345
    Wednesday: 2x5@330
    Friday: 1x5@380 (going to switch to 2x3@385 this week, I hit the full set of 5 but it was close.)

I have the most trouble with my pulls from upper-shin until above the patella. I'm pretty good breaking off the floor and at lockout. I don't have a full power rack so the only limitation I have is no rack pulls. If I did sub an accessory movement, what day would it make sense to program it/ how would you?

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Not really anything to do with your question but why won't your parents let you do cleans? Just curious.
    My father parks a 6 speed Cayman GTS in the garage. He doesn't mind that I lift near it, but the idea of potentially "running away" with a clean or snatch doesn't sit well with either of us.

Show us your deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasAstro View Post
    L
    My father parks a 6 speed Cayman GTS in the garage. He doesn't mind that I lift near it, but the idea of potentially "running away" with a clean or snatch doesn't sit well with either of us.
    Ah, that's legit reasoning. I get it.

Last week my squat work was:
    Monday: 5x5@345
    Wednesday: 2x5@330
    Friday: 1x5@380 (going to switch to 2x3@385 this week, I hit the full set of 5 but it was close.)

I have the most trouble with my pulls from upper-shin until above the patella. I'm pretty good breaking off the floor and at lockout. I don't have a full power rack so the only limitation I have is no rack pulls. If I did sub an accessory movement, what day would it make sense to program it/ how would you?

How old are you? Do you have something to elevate the plates and do block pulls?

Main issue here I see is that 7 sets of 5 squats, 5 x 5 @ 90% of your 5RM, 2 x 5 @ 87% of your 5RM, and then your 5RM at the end of the week. This is a lot of work and is likely interfering with your deadlift. Try 4 x 5 on Monday and maybe drop the middle day and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How old are you? Do you have something to elevate the plates and do block pulls?
    25 years young.

To follow up from the original prompt, I dropped the heavy double last Friday and this past Monday I did 2x3@85% which came out to 410. I got the gym yesterday (Wednesday) and my low back was feeling beat to shit. I made a game time decision and dropped some weight from the 1x5 deadlift (I went from 375, down to 335). Still pretty sore as of this writing but I think I’ll be fresh enough by tomorrow for the weekly 5# PR.

No blocks unfortunately, but I’m an apprentice tradesman and can likely fabricate something. Going to further modify the programming next week and try to stave off the fatigue up to and above 500lbs. I figure once I miss a PR single that’s not due to fatigue or under recovery, I’ll switch to haltings and rack pulls.

No blocks unfortunately, but I’m an apprentice tradesman and can likely fabricate something. Going to further modify the programming next week and try to stave off the fatigue up to and above 500lbs. I figure once I miss a PR single that’s not due to fatigue or under recovery, I’ll switch to haltings and rack pulls.
    It so happens I just mentioned this on another thread, as well - pulling blocks are easy to build. I managed it as a hardware ignoramus, so you should be fine.

I personally made one pair of 2x4 + 3/4" OSB (total 2" thick), and another pair of 4x4 with the same size OSB (total of 4"), and those + two layers of stall mat put the bar just right for block pulls for me. Had I had the foresight, I could have made a single pair at the right height, of course...

Random details that come to mind:

Make sure not to skimp on the footprint - worrying about missing the block in the middle of a heavy set is no bueno.

A handle screwed onto the side of each block makes them easy to move around.

starting strength coach development program
    25 years young.

To follow up from the original prompt, I dropped the heavy double last Friday and this past Monday I did 2x3@85% which came out to 410. I got the gym yesterday (Wednesday) and my low back was feeling beat to shit. I made a game time decision and dropped some weight from the 1x5 deadlift (I went from 375, down to 335). Still pretty sore as of this writing but I think I’ll be fresh enough by tomorrow for the weekly 5# PR.

Yep as I said, too much work. Keep titrating down the non PR days until you find the correct dose.