starting strength gym

Thread: Advanced Deadlift Programming - Good mornings

Default Advanced Deadlift Programming - Good mornings

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My current deadlift is at 655 and I’m shooting for a 700 deadlift under 242lbs by the end of the year. I’ve been following principles from Andy Baker’s approach to conjugate training which has worked really well for me. What I’ve been learning through experience is that less is more with the deadlift. Every time I’ve reduced my volume my max has gone up. Recently I started alternating a deadlift variation (normal, sumo, snatch-grip, deficit, etc) with good mornings week to week. Every 4 weeks I attempt a new max on my conventional so it’s set up

Week 1: conventional deadlift
    Week 2: good mornings 3x8-10
    Week 3: deadlift variation
    Week 4: good mornings 3x8-10

*On the deadlifts I work up to a PR single and that’s it (no back off sets)

Earlier in the week I do light “DE” pulls as follows

Week 1: none - to go into the PR attempt fully recovered
    Week 2: 10x1 @ 70%
    Week 3: 8x1 @ 75%
    Week 4: 5x1 @ 80%

I’m following the good mornings prescription in the blue book but noticed good mornings are not talked about much by SS. I’m wondering if Mark/anyone else that has reached more advanced programming has utilized them? This approach is working better for me than when I was alternating rack pulls and haltings. I don’t necessarily think that is because of the good mornings as I started throwing those in more recently but was curious on others thoughts.

I would love to hear how an SS would approach this.

I also am shooting for a 700lb deadlift. I've done 585x5 and 640x1 once, and am working my way back up. I also did not have any success with the haltings and rack-pulls, and like you have noticed that less is more. Once I get into the 550+x5 range my performance starts to drop week-to-week if I go for for a set of 5 each time. I've tried switching between 5s and 3s, but I still accumulate too much fatigue. I'm going to try something new and just do a single set of 5 every other week.

I've never been a fan of doing variations/assistance stuff and never really felt it helped much either. Of course conjugate is an extremely popular training scheme for advanced lifters, so I won't claim it doesn't work.

I just can't imagine that your 3 sets of biweekly good mornings matter that much. I wonder how you'd do keeping your 1RMs going, and then 2 weeks later go for a 5RM, and repeat. I may try that myself.