starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Day Texas Method: Press Volume

Default 2 Day Texas Method: Press Volume

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been following Paul Horn's 2 day texas method. This program has been working well with my intense volleyball practices. I cannot recover doing 3 days a week and lack the time. I am 5'9 at 86kg squatting 160kg for 2x3, Benching 116kg for 2x3, Deadlifting 175kgx3, and Pressing 76kg for 2x3. Today I missed my Press at 77.5kg, only did 2x2 when I'm suppose to hit 2x3. In the program when switching to 3x2 Paul resets the volume. I'm wondering if this is necessary because I don't feel my shoulders being taxed heavily after volume day. Could I keep upping volume when I switch to 3x2 on the press?

Hey Dan,

My first recommendation would be to try again. I don't like making any programming changes based on one bad workout. Take another crack at 77.5. See if you can get another rep. If you can't, bump up the weight and keep going with 2x2. You can probably keep the volume where it is. Backing off tends to be more helpful for the lower body lifts that beat the shit out of you. Unless you're Chase, presses aren't creating all that much stress. When your first set on volume day is a real grind, consider lowering it a bit to keep some space between volume and intensity.

Paul, Thanks so much for your feedback. Your programming allows me to hit PR's bi-weekly and continue to train my sport intensely. So far its the Squat volume that's beating the shit out me, I'm always keeping that in check and resetting it. The bench press volume days are slowly starting to beat me so I'm keeping a close eye on it. I've also been wondering why the volume for the press days are only 3x5 and not 5x5? What's the specific reason for this? Cheers!

I just went back and looked at my slides. 3x5 for volume press is a typo. That being said, if you're making progress with 3x5, stick with it. When progress starts to stall on intensity day, add another volume set or two.

Coach, if I'm still progressing on Intensity day but want to reset volume because the fatigue is starting to build up will that make me miss my intensity day? or if I do reset volume I should also change the Intensity day to doubles (rn doing triples)?

If you're still progressing on intensity day, DON'T SCREW WITH YOUR PROGRAM. When fatigue is actually a problem, you'll start missing reps. Don't change your program based on your feelings. You're looking for an excuse to make volume day easier. I get it; volume day sucks. But trust me, do not give in to the urge to lower your weights until you have a damn good reason to do so. You fought for every pound on that bar. Don't give up ground because things are feeling harder. I made this mistake many times in my career and wasted years of productive training. Keep going. When you can't get your prescribed reps on intensity day for at least two consecutive workouts, then you can consider dropping down to doubles and backing off volume day a bit.

Anytime you stall in your training, ask yourself, "Am I stuck, or am I regressing?" If you're stuck, add more stress. If you're regressing, remove some stress.

That's everything you need to know about programming.

Paul, thank you so much for the encouraging words! These past few weeks have been very discouraging as I always am feeling sore and beat up. It's challenging to have to continuously show up to volleyball practice with fried legs, lower-back, shoulders, and CNS. Jumping to a maximal height just feels so heavy. I'll continue to push on and watch my recovery. Once again, thank you!

How does somebody tell the difference between regressing and being stuck?

How is your training week set up? When do you practice? When do you lift? There's probably a better way to set up your training with regard to your sport.

Stuck means you're hitting the same weight/reps week after week. Regressing typically means you're hitting fewer reps each week. So if you're trying to 405x3x2 on intensity day, and you keep getting 405x3 and 405x2 (you can't hit that 3rd rep on the 2nd set), you're stuck. Conversely, if you get 405x3 and 405x2 in one week and then 405x2 and 405x1 the following week, you're regressing.

starting strength coach development program
    My training is set up like this:

Monday: Individual volleyball session focusing on Arm swing technique (30m light - moderate), Maximally jumping and hitting (30m Intense), and ladder footwork (30m moderate - intense)
    Tuesday: Volleyball practice (2-3h moderate)
    Wednesday: 2 day Texas method (however long it takes), Individual volleyball session focusing on Arm swing technique (30m easy - moderate) and Serving (1h light).
    Thursday: Volleyball practice (2-3h moderate)
    Friday: Individual volleyball session focusing on Arm swing technique (30m light - moderate), Maximally jumping and hitting (30m Intense), bumping/setting (30m light).
    Saturday: Volleyball practice (2h moderate) and Individual volleyball session focusing on Arm swing technique (30m light - moderate).
    Sunday: 2 day Texas method (however long it takes), Individual volleyball session focusing on Arm swing technique (30m easy - moderate) and bumping/setting (30m light).

This is what it roughly looks like. I'm resting a good 7-8h and eating enough to barely maintain my 84/85kg BW. I'm currently slowly adding more snacks throughout the day, maybe this'll help with the constant soreness? Is the solution just to eat more? It's been challenging to balance work on top of all this hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast