starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Day Texas Method: Press Volume

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's a hell of a schedule. I'm assuming you're a young guy since just reading your weekly workload made my middle-aged knees hurt.

You have zero rest days to work with, and you're already down to a 2-day program, so I think your best bet is to address the food issue. I don't think you mentioned your height, but if you're a volleyball player, 85kg is probably pretty thin.

Bottom line: you need to eat more. If you're constantly feeling beat up and you're getting good sleep, then food is the problem. Bump your calories up and focus on adding more protein. Work with what you're already doing. If you have rice with your dinner, add a second serving. If you have one scoop of whey for your protein shake, make it a two-scooper, or try adding a second or third shake. Just humor me for the next few weeks and try to gain 1/2 - 1lb per week. My guess is that raising your caloric intake will help you recover from all this activity, and you'll feel a lot better. Your lifts may even feel a little lighter. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post

Anytime you stall in your training, ask yourself, "Am I stuck, or am I regressing?" If you're stuck, add more stress. If you're regressing, remove some stress.

That's everything you need to know about programming.
    If I am stuck do I add more stress during volume day in the form of added weight? More sets? Make the movement harder?
    I'm assuming we don't change anything with light days?

If you're stuck now, I'd back the weights off everything (5-10%) and fix your food intake. Again, if you're undereating, that will have the most impact on your performance. Work back up. When you hit a wall again, and you're confident you need to add more stress, I'd start with bumping the weight on volume day if you're already doing 5x5. If you're doing fewer than 5 sets on volume day, keep the weight the same and add another set.

It's all a big experiment after the novice phase. My squat has been stuck for weeks. Finally, I got the bright idea to try 90% for my volume day instead of 85%. Guess what ... I crushed intensity day. Lesson learned.

Make your best guess as to why you aren't making progress, try some logical experiments, and take good notes. The next time the same problem arises, you'll know what to do.

But really, you need to eat more. ��

That's a hell of a schedule. I'm assuming you're a young guy since just reading your weekly workload made my middle-aged knees hurt.

You have zero rest days to work with, and you're already down to a 2-day program, so I think your best bet is to address the food issue. I don't think you mentioned your height, but if you're a volleyball player, 85kg is probably pretty thin.
    I am 5'9 and 24 years old. Am slowly increasing my calorie intake and will bump up volume days to 90%. I'll keep you posted.

Finally, I got the bright idea to try 90% for my volume day instead of 85%. Guess what ... I crushed intensity day. Lesson learned.

Make your best guess as to why you aren't making progress, try some logical experiments, and take good notes. The next time the same problem arises, you'll know what to do.

But really, you need to eat more. ��
    I did 90% on volume day yesterday and holy shit did it smack me hard, was doing 82.5% before. I got 555532, would it be okay if I was aiming to just complete 25 reps? I missed the last set cause my legs were just so fried. I was resting 8m to 10m to 11m to 14 to 15. I am most certainly sure that I will destroy Intensity day when it comes. I also had to split my deadlift intensity day away from the SQ volume day, CNS is fried man sorry..

I forgot to update you Paul but I completely DESTROYED Intensity day.

starting strength coach development program
    I now have a lot more free time and am weighing 93k, would it be foolish to do the following? I would like to push the BP and Press together weekly if possible. Is substituting a light day for a complete off day ideal?

Monday: 5x5 SQ and 5x5 Press
    Tuesday: 3x5 PC and 5x5 BP
    Friday: Intensity SQ and Press
    Saturday: Intensity BP and DL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12