starting strength gym

Thread: How Much of a Jump to Try in Deadlift 1RM?

Default How Much of a Jump to Try in Deadlift 1RM?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 43 year old male that is 235 lbs and 6'4". My weekly deadlift progression on a set of 5 stalled out a 470lbs, even after a couple of resets. I stumbled upon Andy Baker's 6 week deadlift program, which requires knowing a 1 RM to start, so after running out my deadlift over several weeks I ended up with a 1 RM of 525 lbs.

I successfully made it through week 5 exactly as he described, but added week 0 to acclimate a lot of volume in week 1:

Week 0: 394 x 5 x 3 (reps x sets)
    Week 1: 394 x 5 x 5
    Week 2: 473 x 3 x 3
    Week 3: 420 x 5 x 3
    Week 4: 496 x 3 x 2
    Week 5: 446 x 4 x 3

Next week, for week 6, I'm supposed to test a new 1 RM to see if I made progress and then use that as a starting point for the new cycle if I am to repeat this program again. In the article he mentioned the guy made a 20 lb increase in his 1 RM (which is around 5% higher). Is that around what I should attempt first? A 20 lb jump? Or maybe a 5% jump, which is around 25 lb? Or just a 5 to 10 pound jump and then attempt a 20 to 25 lb jump after resting for 8 minutes?

I generally go for smallest jump possible....for a Deadlift 5-10 lbs. If you overshoot by making a big jump and have a very fatiguing miss then you're pretty much done for the day. Deadlifts are unforgiving in this regard and you don't get a lot of opportunities (perhaps none) for failed attempts that can run your battery down to zero. If you make your 5-10 lb PR and wanna jump up another 10-20 lbs or so then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I generally go for smallest jump possible....for a Deadlift 5-10 lbs. If you overshoot by making a big jump and have a very fatiguing miss then you're pretty much done for the day. Deadlifts are unforgiving in this regard and you don't get a lot of opportunities (perhaps none) for failed attempts that can run your battery down to zero. If you make your 5-10 lb PR and wanna jump up another 10-20 lbs or so then go for it.
    Thank you! If I didn’t get any responses before Thursday I was was going to shoot for 20 pounds. I’ll probably try 10 first, since with 525 I know I could have hit 530, but not after low balling it at 525. I’m fairly certain 535 would have went, but it would have been a grind getting it. I’ll wait 8 to 10 minutes and try another 10 to 15 pounds depending on bar speed, as long as I can get the 10 pound jump to go well.