starting strength gym

Thread: BMX Sprints

Default BMX Sprints

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been on starting strength for a little over 8 months now and started the program as an attempt to be more competitive racing BMX. So far I can whole heartedly say it has made an enormous difference, most notably out of the gate but certainly gains across the board. For what its worth I'm Cat. 2 on all lifts with the exception of dead lifts which I'm into Cat. 3.

I want (need) to start working sprints into my training but am not sure where/when it is best suited. Before weight training, directly after, later in the day? I try to do as little possible on days off and always rest for three to four days before big races, those are usually once a month or so.

I'm on my off season, hitting the weights and eating to bulk. I need to sprint not for strength or endurance but for mechanics, form, etc. My sprints are typically slightly down hill or flat terrain, anywhere from 5 to 15 pedal cranks. Even though I hit these full gas they are not very demanding and I'm never more than barely winded. I'll do anywhere from 10 to 20 sprints in a session with 3-7 minutes rest between depending on the length and at most 2 or 3 times week.

If you HAD to recommend, would these be directly prior to a workout an hour or two prior...? I am pretty well smoked after workouts so the thought of sprints afterwards doesn't appeal to me but I'm open to any way that gets the job done.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

What are Cat 2 and 3 lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What are Cat 2 and 3 lifts?
    Rip, thank you for the interest, I got those from the standards chart:

https://startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf

My current numbers are:

42 Yrs Old
    6ft
    183 lbs

Press 1x5 @ 110
    Bench 1x5 @ 165
    Squat 1x5 @ 255lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 325
    Power Clean 1x5 @ 165

You are 6', 183, and lifting novice numbers (ignore the chart, which is bullshit, as has been explained). You need to be stronger, and the sprint work does not demand any more conditioning than you already have, as you have demonstrated. And if you are smoked after your road work, that is conditioning for the road work. Just keep running your numbers up under the bar, and your bodyweight.