starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-run TM, Pyramid Model or 5/3/1?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Why don't you keep doing what got you this far? It's working, why change it?
    There'd be no need for me to ask if it kept working

I don't know how do I proceed from here without gaining bodyweight, I read about the pyramid model and 5/3/1 and am just wondering which one would be better or maybe some other kind of program

Quote Originally Posted by Al2020 View Post
    I realize that not gaining extra bodyweight is artificially limiting weight on the bar, I was just wondering what's the best way to progress as things are right now.
    Your question contains the answer. If you've hit the limit of weight on the bar for this bodyweight, and you want a programming fix, then you're looking for a software solution to a hardware problem.

If you want your body to add weight to the bar, then the additional bodyweight is not extra, it's necessary.

Nutrition is part of recovery, and recovery is part of programming. Lifting weights without progression in weight on the bar is not training, it's exercising. Exercise selection and timing, weights, sets, and reps without the supporting recovery (and proper form, and everything else) isn't programming - it's exercise planning.

Have you shared why you're not willing to gain weight?

You are pretty strong for your bodyweight. You also look like you don’t have any excess body fat. The obvious solution is to gain five pounds, I sincerely doubt you will gain too much fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You are pretty strong for your bodyweight. You also look like you don’t have any excess body fat. The obvious solution is to gain five pounds, I sincerely doubt you will gain too much fat.
    If he gains 50 lbs, this will be one strong motherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Your question contains the answer. If you've hit the limit of weight on the bar for this bodyweight, and you want a programming fix, then you're looking for a software solution to a hardware problem.

If you want your body to add weight to the bar, then the additional bodyweight is not extra, it's necessary.

Nutrition is part of recovery, and recovery is part of programming. Lifting weights without progression in weight on the bar is not training, it's exercising. Exercise selection and timing, weights, sets, and reps without the supporting recovery (and proper form, and everything else) isn't programming - it's exercise planning.

Have you shared why you're not willing to gain weight?
    It's not like I haven't tried or not willing to gain weight
    I think 175-185 is a realistic BW for me (I have a pretty small frame so I really don't think I can get to something like 220)
    But eating 5000 calories a day or doing GOMAD is a hard as hell and is a full time job on it's own.
    Obviously the optimal way to get stronger would be doing it but might as well keep getting stronger on less optimal ways then not get any stronger at all

You're already quite strong for 140 pounds. I'm not as much of an advocate of everyone gaining weight as most people here are, especially because you participate in another sport where being 5'8" and 200 wouldn't really benefit you. That said, I feel like you're going to have to gain *some* weight to get much stronger, which you already know. As you said, it's a job and it's hard but that's how it goes. Ask any open class strongman what the hardest thing they do is and they'll tell you it's eating as much as they need to. If you can't or won't do it, that's cool but you may struggle to get very much stronger regardless of programming.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    You're already quite strong for 140 pounds. I'm not as much of an advocate of everyone gaining weight as most people here are, especially because you participate in another sport where being 5'8" and 200 wouldn't really benefit you.
    I got a lot of buddies who used to play volleyball, some of them professionals. 200 at 5’8’’ is not a lot of weight for a volleyball player. Sure, there are smaller guys, but bigger ones too. The best player I know from that period is now close to 225, somewhat sloppy, but he still, as he used to, has a bigger, wait for it… vertical jump than the other guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I got a lot of buddies who used to play volleyball, some of them professionals. 200 at 5’8’’ is not a lot of weight for a volleyball player. Sure, there are smaller guys, but bigger ones too. The best player I know from that period is now close to 225, somewhat sloppy, but he still, as he used to, has a bigger, wait for it… vertical jump than the other guys!
    I think it depends on how large your frame is, My frame is rather if not very small so I don't think 200 lbs would be ideal but then again I'll have to see by getting there

Even if I'll get stronger I don't think my Vertical will improve by a lot. It's already around 36-40 inches and It's not the type of thing you can improve a lot

Post a video of your 40-inch SVJ.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll try to post one by the end of the week

Is it relevant to the programming ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast