starting strength gym

Thread: Volume on Monday or Friday?

Default Volume on Monday or Friday?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, It seems that the norm is to do volume work at the start of the week and intensity at the end, as in the 3-day Texas method, or 4-day split. Wouldn't it be better to do intensity on Monday after 2 days rest, and volume at the end of the week?

Fine with me. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by johncolt View Post
    Hi, It seems that the norm is to do volume work at the start of the week and intensity at the end, as in the 3-day Texas method, or 4-day split. Wouldn't it be better to do intensity on Monday after 2 days rest, and volume at the end of the week?
    You wanna do a whole bunch of sets on Friday and then try to hit an intense PR after only resting 2 days?
    I think this is why volume is Monday and Intensity is Friday.
    The volume drives the intensity, but it's still a percentage of it, so you can do volume after intensity while the other way around sounds like a bad idea.

I would guess the program is structured a certain way because a bunch of people tried it your way and it didn't work, but as Rip said, you can try and see for yourself.

Yes, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. It's just that I've been under the impression that the priority is to hit the heaviest weight possible on intensity day, even if that means you have to sacrifice some weight on the bar for your volume days. But I'll try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by johncolt View Post
    I've been under the impression that the priority is to hit the heaviest weight possible on intensity day, even if that means you have to sacrifice some weight on the bar for your volume days.
    That is in fact the reason for the 5 days rest between the Monday volume and Friday intensity. Sorry if this is confusing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That is in fact the reason for the 5 days rest between the Monday volume and Friday intensity. Sorry if this is confusing.
    OK, I see what you mean. There is a Wed workout as well; I realise that that is supposed to be light though. In any case, I've been doing a 4-day spit, so it's rest on Wed and on Sat/Sun. Maybe I've just been over doing it on my Mon/Tue volume workouts.