starting strength gym

Thread: BJJ Athlete Programming Question

Default BJJ Athlete Programming Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys i have been runnning a conjugate type program for the past 6 months or so with max effort, speed work and repetition work as i've been told this is one of the best ways to program for a BJJ athlete as it incorporates speed work and using rep work with high stimulus low fatigue exercises is a good idea for someone who wants to get stronger whilst training BJJ.

I am a competitive brown belt and compete often.

I have the biggest match of my lift on the 25th March and want to get as strong as possible whilst keeping the focus on my BJJ and being conditioned etc so i can come in and perform at my best.

What would you guys do in my situation?

I am currently trimming off some bodyfat to get my weight down for the match as i have to be around 3kg lighter than i currently am.

Current numbers are:

Weight: 87KG

Squat - 140KG
    Bench - 100KG
    Deadlift - 170KG

Would you wait until afterwards before switching to another programming style or should i move over to a standard barbell type program now?

If so, which one would you reccomend?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JTay97 View Post
    Hey guys i have been runnning a conjugate type program for the past 6 months or so with max effort, speed work and repetition work as i've been told this is one of the best ways to program for a BJJ athlete as it incorporates speed work and using rep work with high stimulus low fatigue exercises is a good idea for someone who wants to get stronger whilst training BJJ.

I am a competitive brown belt and compete often.

I have the biggest match of my lift on the 25th March and want to get as strong as possible whilst keeping the focus on my BJJ and being conditioned etc so i can come in and perform at my best.

What would you guys do in my situation?

I am currently trimming off some bodyfat to get my weight down for the match as i have to be around 3kg lighter than i currently am.

Current numbers are:

Weight: 87KG

Squat - 140KG
    Bench - 100KG
    Deadlift - 170KG

Would you wait until afterwards before switching to another programming style or should i move over to a standard barbell type program now?

If so, which one would you reccomend?

Thanks!
    What were your last three deadlift and squat PRs and how long ago did you set them?

Hey Nick,

Last 3 were the following:

Squat - 135KG
    Bench - 97.5KG
    Deadlift - 170KG

Set within the past few months as i've been running a conjugate program.

Usually something like:

Day 1 -

ME Upper 1RM
    DB Bench 3x10
    Chin-Ups 3xAMRAP
    Press 3x10
    Band Tricep Ext 5xFailure

Day 2 -

ME SQ / DL 1RM
    Pause Squat 3x5
    RDL 3x10
    Glute Bridge 3x10

Day 3 -

Speed Bench 5x5 @ 40% W Bands
    Chin-Ups 3xAMRAP
    Press 3x10

Day 4 -

Speed Box Squat 5x5 @ 40% W Bands
    Speed Deadlift 5x5 @ 40% W Bands
    RDL 3x10
    Glute Bridge 3x10

I run this over a 3 day week and carry the next workout onto the following week.

I thought to lay out the program im currently following to give you some context.

Quote Originally Posted by JTay97 View Post
    Hey Nick,

Last 3 were the following:

Squat - 135KG
    Bench - 97.5KG
    Deadlift - 170KG

Set within the past few months as i've been running a conjugate program.

Usually something like:

Day 1 -

ME Upper 1RM
    DB Bench 3x10
    Chin-Ups 3xAMRAP
    Press 3x10

Day 2 -

ME SQ / DL 1RM
    Pause Squat 3x5
    RDL 3x10
    Glute Bridge 3x10

Day 3 -

Speed Bench 5x5 @ 40% W Bands
    Chin-Ups 3xAMRAP
    Press 3x10

Day 4 -

Speed Box Squat 5x5 @ 40% W Bands
    Speed Deadlift 5x5 @ 40% W Bands
    RDL 3x10
    Glute Bridge 3x10

I run this over a 3 day week and carry the next workout onto the following week.

I thought to lay out the program im currently following to give you some context.
    As a brown belt, you can get away with doing quite a bit more strength training-wise based on your bodyweight and the loads you're handling. You're doing an overly-complicated program that isn't yielding PRs quickly enough and also doing a bunch of work that isn't productive when done concurrently with rolling often.

I think that you should spend the next 3-5 weeks running the Novice Linear Progression. Then for the last 2-3 weeks before your competition cut way back on the increases in the weight room and go to lifting 2 times per week as you ramp up your conditioning for the competition. You may not even have to cut back on the lifting stress much at all. You could probably lift on Monday and Wednesday before the tournament and be just fine. Give this a try. You'll make a bunch of progress if you do it right in the next 6-8 weeks.