Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
I would say that you are selling yourself short. The blue book explains why 3 sets are required, and the book makes a lot of sense.
That's what I figured. Just needed a kick in the pants as a reminder. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
A single set at work weight can work for a very short time if you want to continue getting stronger. Soon it will plateau and you will at best be able to hold onto your strength for a while. You need a 225 bench for three sets of five before you start fucking around. Get to it any way you can.
Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
Z, a lot of things work to a degree. Nothing works forever and some things work much better than others.

I don’t know how long you’ve been doing this, but it sounds like you’ve made some progress with a single set of five. With your time constraints, I imagine that you either have to sacrifice frequency (like Heinz suggested) or volume, as you’re currently doing.

To try to answer your last question, yes, the 60 minute limit is a programming constraint, but I don’t know when it will start hindering your progress. Keep eating and sleeping well and hopefully you can sustain progress under less-than-ideal conditions before you need to implement changes.
That's a great way to phrase it ("sacrificing frequency versus volume"), so much thanks to @heinz83, and yourself, for that.

S'pose your point is valid: keep using a less-than-ideal program until it stops working, then make incremental changes to keep driving adaptation.