starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, Press, DL 2x/week: Would my time be better served with an A/B split?

Default Squat, Press, DL 2x/week: Would my time be better served with an A/B split?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all. Due to sport/work/resources it seems that 2 days a week is what works for me regarding available time for strength training. Beginning a LP again after a number of months of inconsistent training and want to keep it simple and effective so I stick with it.
    As stated in title, recently started with SQ/OHP/DL twice a week. Did a bunch of searching on the board and it seems like most posts commenting on 2-day templates lean towards a A/B split alternating the squat and deadlift/clean as well as OHP/BP; or some variation of that theme. It has been my understanding that hitting an exercise one a week (Say: DL on Tues, Squat on Fri) is not frequent enough stress to cause an an adaptation; but with the movement patterns be similar between the barbell lifts, perhaps that does not apply (I also could, of course, be completely wrong regarding what I think to be true regarding frequency/adaptation).
    So, in short my question would be: Would my basic "big 3" twice week be just fine for beginning to build some basic strength back considering, my schedule limitations, or would an A/B split of some variety be a better use of available training time?

Thanks
    cs

I recently ran a 2 day LP after an illness induced layoff. I squatted and pressed twice a week and did bench and deadlift on alternate days. But I basically treat bench as an assistance exercise now.

How strong are you now? Age/height
    /weight? Reasons for not benching? Deadlift once a week can work if it's heavy enough but you may benefit from power cleans the other day, or bench, or both if time and recovery allow. What is your sport?

Quote Originally Posted by cskol View Post
    Hey all. Due to sport/work/resources it seems that 2 days a week is what works for me regarding available time for strength training. Beginning a LP again after a number of months of inconsistent training and want to keep it simple and effective so I stick with it.
    As stated in title, recently started with SQ/OHP/DL twice a week. Did a bunch of searching on the board and it seems like most posts commenting on 2-day templates lean towards a A/B split alternating the squat and deadlift/clean as well as OHP/BP; or some variation of that theme. It has been my understanding that hitting an exercise one a week (Say: DL on Tues, Squat on Fri) is not frequent enough stress to cause an an adaptation; but with the movement patterns be similar between the barbell lifts, perhaps that does not apply (I also could, of course, be completely wrong regarding what I think to be true regarding frequency/adaptation).
    So, in short my question would be: Would my basic "big 3" twice week be just fine for beginning to build some basic strength back considering, my schedule limitations, or would an A/B split of some variety be a better use of available training time?

Thanks
    cs
    What is your age/height/bodyweight? (Always useful to know this stuff)

You could try doing all 4 lifts in the same workout and leave enough space in between sessions to recover (like Tue-Fri), cut the volume a little bit on the bench and press (2x5 instead of 3x5, which amounts to 8 sets of total upper body volume, not that different from a regular NLP) and alternate the deadlift with cleans/light deadlift once it gets too heavy to recover from.
    If you have limited time to workout and doing 4 lifts is too much, just do the warm-ups for the next exercise during the rest between the worksets of the current exercise, that'll save you some time.

Just turned 42. 6'1''ish, currently weigh 195lb. Not strong at all, really. Just finished first logged training session and got my starting weights figured out, erred on the conservative side: SQ 85lbs, OHP 65lbs and DL 125lbs.
    "Sport" is mountain biking. I try to get out 2-3 times per week when weather allows. My gut tells me I can handle twice weekly squats/deadlift for a bit.
    Not against benching per se but definitely influenced by this article:
    Squats, Presses, and Deadlifts: Why Gyms Don't Teach the Only Exercises You Need | Mark Rippetoe
    I also think that presses may have a bit more carry over to mountain biking, with regards to line of force and the additionally trunk stabilization required. I, of course, could be wrong.
    4 exercises would be tough for me time-wise. I am planning on getting to gym before work as I have found i can actually squat with somewhat respectable form earlier in the day; I have hardware in my knee and pretty limited mobility in my ankle on the right side. By days end swelling and, at times, ankle pain make squatting difficult.

What you should do is run the 3 day program as written for 3 or 4 months, cut biking out completely or at most 1 day a week and then go to two day a week programming at the end of the NLP or maybe in the advanced novice stage, and add more biking days at that point. You'll have a better idea of what you need for programming at that point and enough of a strength base to still benefit from 2 day programming.

Unless you're competing, which you didn't say. If you have to do 2 day programming now, A/B spread over two days instead of three, while not ideal, is still probably the best. I think you ought to bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    What you should do is run the 3 day program as written for 3 or 4 months, cut biking out completely or at most 1 day a week and then go to two day a week programming at the end of the NLP or maybe in the advanced novice stage, and add more biking days at that point. You'll have a better idea of what you need for programming at that point and enough of a strength base to still benefit from 2 day programming.

Unless you're competing, which you didn't say. If you have to do 2 day programming now, A/B spread over two days instead of three, while not ideal, is still probably the best. I think you ought to bench.
    Good advice, thank you. I do not compete. Realistically, I likely wont be cutting out biking going into spring weather. If heading into winter I would be more likely to take a break and do plan as written.
    With that said, if going for A/B split as you suggested would I just be rotating the OHP/BP on alternate days while SQ/DL are done each training session?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    . I think you ought to bench.
    Also, just curious as to why you think I should bench.

Yes, the upper body lifts alternate.

I think you should bench because it sounds like you are a rank novice and there is far more absolute upper body strength potential to be realized from benching and pressing than from pressing alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cskol View Post
    Good advice, thank you. I do not compete. Realistically, I likely wont be cutting out biking going into spring weather. If heading into winter I would be more likely to take a break and do plan as written.
    With that said, if going for A/B split as you suggested would I just be rotating the OHP/BP on alternate days while SQ/DL are done each training session?

Also, just curious as to why you think I should bench.
    Bench pressing is the best way to improve upper body strength, and since you are starting back from zero, it's useful that you do it to quickly make gains. I would follow Matt's advice if I were you, but then again, I don't love biking. If you have no problem doing a non-optimal program and getting stuck early until it gets cold and then do the actual program, then go ahead.

Thanks fellas. Will go with the suggestion to alternate OHP/BP. Basically SS phase 1 it seems, done twice per week. If I can stick with it, and manage my recovery, I will consider 3 days as written while backing off the riding for a bit.

starting strength coach development program
    cskol,

Spring doesn't officially start until Mar 21. That gives you about a month to train. The program is 3 days per week, and you will be amazed at how quickly you gain strength and how much better you feel physically and mentally. My prediction is that if you make the time to follow the program as written, then by the time spring rolls around, you will want to continue training 3 days a week, because you will feel like a beast and will find that mountain biking (and everything else in your life) is way easier than it used to be. Don't sell yourself short before you even start. Give it a shot and see what happens. If you follow the 3 day program, you won't be disappointed.