starting strength gym

Thread: HLM adjustment

Default HLM adjustment

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

Looking for some help on HLM. 39/6'2/250. I recently transitioned from advance novice to HLM for squat, final squat being 415x5 with back offs on an SSB bar. My first heavy day on HLM was 375x5x5 with 20% and 10% offsets for light and medium. I finished week 2, and it totally crushed me, especially my lower back. Medium and light days were not easy. My other lifts are on novice, and I don't power clean. Should I have started 375x5; 380x5x2; 385x5x3...for the heavy days? To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind letting off the gas on the squat for a little to allow my other lifts to catch up.

I also have concerns with the SSB bar and lessened use of glutes--is there anything I can or should do accessory wise? I think there is a belt squat machine at my gym. I'm unable to get in low bar position with a regular barbell.

Sebastian

You don't need to be doing a 5x5. Hell, a heavy enough 3x5 is probably enough work on HLM. Don't beat yourself to piss with volume. I'd shave some sets off and see how it goes.

More importantly, why can't you low bar squat? Some sort of injury or are you just tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    You don't need to be doing a 5x5. Hell, a heavy enough 3x5 is probably enough work on HLM. Don't beat yourself to piss with volume. I'd shave some sets off and see how it goes.

More importantly, why can't you low bar squat? Some sort of injury or are you just tight?
    Thanks, Coach--that is a relief. I'll give it a shot with a 3x5.

As far as the SSB, I have disproportionately long forearms that cause pain and inflammation in the upper arms and shoulder if I low bar. I've tried every width and grip known to man and have seen different SSCs to try to make it work (and I appreciated Dr. Stef's article a few months back), but it just doesn't work. I also can't rack a press or power clean.

Any thoughts on the belt squat or GHD to make up for the lost glute work as a medium or light day? It is a huge short coming of the SSB. I was using a transformer bar up until 6 months ago, which better mimicked the low bar squat, but I had to switch to an SSB because I'm at a different gym.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Thanks, Coach--that is a relief. I'll give it a shot with a 3x5.

As far as the SSB, I have disproportionately long forearms that cause pain and inflammation in the upper arms and shoulder if I low bar. I've tried every width and grip known to man and have seen different SSCs to try to make it work (and I appreciated Dr. Stef's article a few months back), but it just doesn't work. I also can't rack a press or power clean.

Any thoughts on the belt squat or GHD to make up for the lost glute work as a medium or light day? It is a huge short coming of the SSB. I was using a transformer bar up until 6 months ago, which better mimicked the low bar squat, but I had to switch to an SSB because I'm at a different gym.

Thank you again.
    I wouldn't mess around with the belt squat or GHD. Again the SSB is not optimal, which you know, but as long as you're driving up the deadlift you'll probably be fine. It's better than not squatting at all.

Have you tried a high bar squat? I'd favor that over the SSB if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I wouldn't mess around with the belt squat or GHD. Again the SSB is not optimal, which you know, but as long as you're driving up the deadlift you'll probably be fine. It's better than not squatting at all.

Have you tried a high bar squat? I'd favor that over the SSB if possible.
    Thank you for the advice. I have not seriously tried a high bar, but I will give it a shot. I agree, the SSB is really sub-optimal for a lot of reasons (I was previously using a transformer bar which is way better).

I did a mini LP with high bar, taking a wide, thumbs around, pinky less grip and got up to 375 and now have awful tennis elbow in both arms. It feels way more stable and easier than an SSB, but the pain is not going to be tolerable.