starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for Military Pilot

Default Programming for Military Pilot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my first post as a long-time lurker of the forum. I've always searched for any needed information, but this time felt like I needed to post a question.

I'm currently a military pilot transitioning back to an aircraft with an ejection seat. Weight and lower-body mass has not been an issue for myself for a number of years. I've followed starting strength for years, and am quite happy with my progress and the positive effect it has on longevity in the aircraft. I was an intermediate before having a 2 year layoff due to personal life issues that I am now resolving with a LP.

My problem now with the ejection seat is that my lower body mass is too big for the seat (I can fit, but barely). Current weight restrictions limit me to 231 lbs (naked body weight), and I am currently at 229. I am 6'1". I am not sure how I should exactly program with my new limitation? I have seen a previous post where Mark recommends squatting only one day a week to somebody who claimed to be a gymnast and wanted less lower body mass. Would a simple weight reduction of 10lbs help and not completely halt progress? I would prefer to limit massive changes to my current program and stick to the advanced Novice Programming in the grey book. The only modification I have made to the LP is adding a light squat day on Wednesday. All of my numbers continue to go up.

6'1"
    229 lbs
    Squat - 280 5x3
    Deadlift - 340 5x1
    Press - 140 5x3
    Bench - 215 5x3

I appreciate any help.

What is your bodyfat %?

A quick online calculator puts me at 21.6%.

This was based on my current measurements:
    6'1"
    228lbs
    37" waist
    15" neck

You're not very strong, so muscle mass is not the problem with your bodyweight. You're going to have to work on your diet.

Thank you for the help. I’m very strict with meal planning, and figured I may need to cut back on the carb surplus a little.