starting strength gym

Thread: Returning to NLP after 6 years of lifting

Default Returning to NLP after 6 years of lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a 31 years old guy who decided to do SS after lifting somewhat seriously for 6 years. Probably gained 30 pounds lbm in those years, but came to realization that I wasted my time running programs that weren't suited to me and cycles of bulking and cutting.
    Stats:
    5ft9 195-200 pounds (just recently cut from 220 to 190 July to Christmas). Recent best weights while cutting were SSB squat 260x5, deadlift 365x5, bench 185x5 and ohp 125x5.
    My goal is clear my head of all bullshit and focus on basics from now on. Gain a lot of weight, do low bar squats, focus on quality recovery, completely exhaust NLP and become strong in all lifts.
    Starting weights:
    Squat 185, Deadlift 275, OHP 95, Bench 155.
    I am currently going through phase 1. Everything going up smoothly, still looking to pursue deadlift every workout for a couple of weeks still. I will then switch to power cleans, which I have never done before.
    Wish me luck and share any recommendation!

Question?

Hi Mark, I appreciate your reply.

I find there is sufficient information available through the book and online material. My post was to share my thoughts when starting the program, mainly. Perhaps I did not post it in the right section.

I'm two weeks into the program, moving squat per 5-10lbs increments per workout, deadlift 10-20, ohp and bench 5lbs. Only big problem I am experiencing is right shoulder pain when I set myself tight in the low bar position, but this usually gets much better once I get to the first work set.

Deadlifts are at 330lbs from 275 when I started two weeks ago - I feel them getting harder, but would like to keep pushing phase one until I feel the fatigue really start to spills over to my squat the next workout. Is this the right approach or should I be more conservative about it; jump into power cleans now maybe?

Thanks again!

Push the deadlift hard through phase one, as far as it will go. You want to end your NLP with the deadlift 50-100 pounds ahead of the squat, so get as much of a head start as you can. Once you miss your first set of five deadlifts is when you can consider transitioning to phase two. My guess is you will start missing reps past 365 or so.

Hey Jovan, thanks for the reply.

I actually moved today from that deadlift every workout; topped at 340 on Friday, but squats at 230 felt subjectively much slower today.

Taking in at least 4000 calories a day, sleeping 7-8h pretty consistently.

This seems like a good deadlift to squat ratio.

starting strength coach development program
    I only managed 350 for 3 reps on Wednesday before hook grip failed. Used straps today for 355 and 5 reps went super quick, so I guess that I am back on the deadlift every workout wagon.
    Mixed grip is strong, but not too comfortable with the body twisting movement it generates.