starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting weights to improve technique

Default Adjusting weights to improve technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi folks,

I attended a Starting Strength seminar last week and the coach recommended I back off some of the weights to focus more on technique. During the seminar, I managed to pull some PRs, that is a 310lbs squat and 350lb deadlift. I'm not gonna lie, I felt drained after the seminar, but the feeling of lifting this much for the first time felt incredible!

When I asked how much I should back off, he said the exact number didn't really matter because I can quickly work my way up to my current weights within a few weeks. So far, my stats are:
    • Deadlift: 350lb
    • Squat: 310lb
    • Overhead Press: 150lb
    • Bench Press: 225lb
    • Power Clean: 145lb

I weigh 196lbs and am about 5'8" tall.

My plan is to start with approximately 70% and increase by 10lb the deadlift and squat and 5lb the rest of the lifts in every workout. For example, I trained yesterday with 225lb squat, 165lb bench and 125lb power cleans (they felt easy).

What is your opinion? Should I back off even more? Go with 5lb increases instead of 10lb in the big lifts?

Thanks in advance!

Are you quite certain that a Starting Strength Coach meant for you to back off of ALL of your lifts in order to work on technique?

You only have to back up to a weight that you can do the correct technique consistently. So, it's hard to say exactly. Someone with technique massively deviant from the model will have to take more weight off than someone who is only slightly off.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

TurboK, the decision to move from 10lb jumps to 5lb is usually based on the belief that the linear progression is tapering and the trainee’s progress will be more sustainable with smaller jumps. Same idea with moving bench and press to 2.5 lb jumps. Try to do it before you stall, rather than after. If you’re working on form too (we all are, to some degree) it’s even more reason to be conservative about your progression.

What coach were your working with?

70% is a lot of weight to strip off. 90% might be more reasonable, and even that's a lot--without knowing what the form issues are.

Bigger question is, what's your plan to make sure that you've fixed your form?

Warmup sets are a good place to practice perfect form with lighter weights.

I don't think your SSC told you to deload to 70%. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't. I think you must have misinterpreted something.

Gia sou Kostas!

May I ask which advice or queue specifically you received for the squat which helped you hit a new PR at the SS seminar?

I don't suppose there will ever be a seminar in Germany during my lifetime, unfortunately - but I would sign up for sure if there was!!
    And probably an online seminar would miss the point

Quote Originally Posted by gv3055 View Post
    Gia sou Kostas!

May I ask which advice or queue specifically you received for the squat which helped you hit a new PR at the SS seminar?

I don't suppose there will ever be a seminar in Germany during my lifetime, unfortunately - but I would sign up for sure if there was!!
    And probably an online seminar would miss the point
    There is a Squat, Press and Deadlift camp in Brussels at Steve Ross's gym this April. You should check it out

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    There is a Squat, Press and Deadlift camp in Brussels at Steve Ross's gym this April. You should check it out
    I see, it is on the 22nd. Brussels is not exactly around the corner from where I live but it might work, I need to sell this to my wife now - it is certainly more convenient to get to than WFAC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast