• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello

Some of my stats before I get started with my question:
    Sex: Male
    Height: 74"
    Wingspan: 74-75"
    SVJ: 24"
    Weight: 245 lbs

I have missed my single set of five deadlifts two weeks in a row. Here is the context:

Today, 3/10:
    S: 315, 5x3 (hit!)
    Press: 135, 5x1 (hit!)
    D: 365, plan was 5x1 but I only hit 3.

Last week, 3/3:
    S: 305, 5x3 (hit!)
    B: 135, 5x3 (Yes, my bench is no good)
    D: 365, 5x1 but my back was rounded so I figured to give it a retry on 3/10.

My other pulls are barbell rows on Monday and AMRAP Chins on Wednesday.

I prioritize time in the gym so 5-minute rests are the absolute minimum at this point. I also utilize the hook grip at this point now. I also use a belt in my DLs.

Based on this information, what sounds like the most obvious reason that I missed my Deadlifts two weeks in a row? Fatigue from Squats, Need to reevaluate DL technique, need more info, something else?

Video?

Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post

My other pulls are barbell rows on Monday and AMRAP Chins on Wednesday.

I prioritize time in the gym so 5-minute rests are the absolute minimum at this point. I also utilize the hook grip at this point now. I also use a belt in my DLs.

Based on this information, what sounds like the most obvious reason that I missed my Deadlifts two weeks in a row? Fatigue from Squats, Need to reevaluate DL technique, need more info, something else?
    I will assume the weights you mentioned are pounds and not kg!

you mentioned you use hook grip now (are you suggesting you did not use it in the past?).
    anyway if it were me and was looking for an obvious culprit, i personally would try the same set with straps, just to see if maybe the grip is not holding up for 5 good reps. The back rounding you mentioned can be caused by lack of a strong grip, I would imagine.
    i know it took me a while to get used to the hook grip and since i like to swim against the current and don't care if I am called a P*y, i meanwhile use straps for my work set and hook grip for all warm up reps even starting with 60 kg (the warm up weight is also progressing along with the work set weight obviously, so to me, anyway, this is an acceptable strategy and my grip is also getting stronger).

another thing to try in order to rulke out something obvious is to move your DL day to Wednesday (i.e. swap with your chins which you are currently doing Wednesdays), or better yet, do them Monday while you are fresh.
    for chins how many for you is amrap? and how many sets?

also you are right, your bench is way behind your potential it seems, especially given the fact you have plenty of bodyweight and are 6'2", at least for the weights you are lifting. Maybe someone can give you some advice on that specifically.

Yeah, lbs not kg!

WRT Grip: yes, I started my DLs with the normal grip right at the base of my fingers. I switched to hook about two months ago. That's an interesting fact about the back. I didn't know that. I will give straps a try next week!

WRT DLs on Wednesday or Monday: I will give that a try after I give straps a try. I don't want to inject too many variables.

WRT Chins: Normally 3 sets and I get like 5 4 3 or 5 4 4.

WRT Bench: Yeah, something just isn't right in my left shoulder. I hurt it in football practice in 09/2008 and it hasn't been right since.

Rip: Here is me DLs today for 365 lbs. Only got 1 so it is getting worse: 365 lbs Fail - YouTube

This is a grip failure, so strap this same weight again, and push the floor instead of pulling on the bar.

Thank you! I will give it a try!

I can't see your palms clearly in the video - are you using chalk?

You may need a combination of chalk and a hook grip to get a rock-solid grip. Chalk alone won't do it and neither in my experience will the hook grip by itself. Since I combined the two I have never once had a grip issue at any weight. If you are struggling with how much your thumbs hurt during the hook grip, wrap them in some self-adhesive athletic tape/athletic bandage.

Or he could use straps.

365 strikes me as a very low weight for his age and bodyweight to be switching to straps. Why do you recommend he do that over using a hook grip?

starting strength coach development program
    365 strikes me as a very low weight for someone his age and size to be stuck at for any reason. Straps allow us to determine if he can actually pull it. If he can, then we fix his grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast