starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie - Can't Squat, won't squat... Programming the Deadlift

Default Newbie - Can't Squat, won't squat... Programming the Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I've been searching around but I can't seem to find a thread like this (there must be one but I've missed it??)

I'd like to start the NLP. I did it for a short while back in 2013 but never continued due to various reasons.

Now at the age of 42 (250lbs, very fat but robust and very active), I've been doing some silly bullshit home weights routine and I'm looking to go to a gym and start lifting properly.

Unfortunately, my right knee is damaged and my left knee is weak. Without going into it in depth, I won't be squatting properly for a long time if at all. I could squat 320lbs before my knee issue but now I can't really do a proper bodyweight squat (or leg press, or leg extension etc.), I'm pretty much disabled now and have been for over a year.

So.. the question... With the removal of the squat, can the deadlift be programmed more frequently after the first few weeks? Can the number of sets increase or should they stay at one? Should other exercises be added to make up for the reduction in systemic stress created by the squat?

Thanks for any advice and apologies if this has been covered many times before. Just to reiterate, it's not that I don't want to squat, god I wish I could, I just really cannot right now.

What is wrong with your knee?

Well.. I've had an MRI, x-ray, and seen a physio and surgeon and they say it's chondromalacia patella but functionally it's painful to bear any real weight past about 15-20 degrees, it's feels very loose and clunks a lot when walking, it swells up a lot after exercise. I've lost a huge amount of strength in both legs but 2 inches of muscle on the right leg. I do cycle and MTB and it can cope as long as I stay seated. I cannot stand up and pedal.

I intend on starting some assisted bodyweight squats or bodyweight box squats to see what it can really handle but after a year of living with it, I don't have a lot of hope at the moment. I assume I can deadlift but haven't proven that yet. I may not even be able to stand and hold that much weight.

Do you live in a country where the obvious surgery is unavailable? You'll have to admit that it would be useful to be able to stand up.

Well I live in the UK which means we can get free surgery but only really when it makes the difference of us being able to work or not. We have a wonderful national health service but it should be called a "sickness" service as it treats sickness but doesn't maximise health. Still, they said I'm too young for a knee replacement or steroid injections so I just have some physio exercises to do, which admittedly, I'm not that disciplined with.

I can get around but I just can't put much force through my right leg. I can walk upstairs but it crunches and clunks. I generally use my arms to help me get up off the sofa .. which I know is horrendous.

So yeah, that's the real reason for the OP. I want to strength train. I know without squats I'm not doing the program and I'll have limited results but the principles should still hold true??? I.e. I could have a program that works the other main lifts and maybe some alternatives and try to follow a limited linear progression or at least put a bit more weight on the bar at some sort of regular interval??

My home workout is very limited but is making some progress so I'm sure I can switch to something mores sensible.

starting strength coach development program
    I suggest you contact Carl Raghavan in London and see if he can help you.