starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I volume sensetive?

Default Am I volume sensetive?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am currently on a 4 day split and lately I am experiencing pain and sorness after the 5x5 squats .25 YO, I weigh 260lbs ,my height is 176 cm, eating 3700-3800 cals a day (following Stan's vertical diet) , using a cpap machine therfore sleep is fine , Not watching the news or using any kind of social media source so stress levels is ok .
    Should I reduce reps in volume day to say : 5x3 , 3x5 , 4x4 , 8x3 ... instead of 5x5 ?
    Lifts are (in KG):
    Best squat : 180 x1 , 172.5 x5 x1
    Best deadlift: 200x1 , 192.5x2
    Press : 3x2x70
    Bench : 2x2x105
    I am doing 75-80% of Intensity day on volume day , but the weight doesn't feel heavy and bar speed is pretty fast on all of the reps .
    Is there a possabilty I am volume sensative ? I feel I can barely move after a volume day and when I come to Intansity day training , there are times I just cant move the heavy weight (feels awful) .

How are you scheduling your lower body lifts within the split?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeevOl View Post
    I am currently on a 4 day split and lately I am experiencing pain and sorness after the 5x5 squats .25 YO, I weigh 260lbs ,my height is 176 cm, eating 3700-3800 cals a day (following Stan's vertical diet) , using a cpap machine therfore sleep is fine , Not watching the news or using any kind of social media source so stress levels is ok .
    Should I reduce reps in volume day to say : 5x3 , 3x5 , 4x4 , 8x3 ... instead of 5x5 ?
    Lifts are (in KG):
    Best squat : 180 x1 , 172.5 x5 x1
    Best deadlift: 200x1 , 192.5x2
    Press : 3x2x70
    Bench : 2x2x105
    I am doing 75-80% of Intensity day on volume day , but the weight doesn't feel heavy and bar speed is pretty fast on all of the reps .
    Is there a possabilty I am volume sensative ? I feel I can barely move after a volume day and when I come to Intansity day training , there are times I just cant move the heavy weight (feels awful) .

25 years old, 5'10" 260lbs, why are your press and bench so low?
    You might wanna try and do 4x5 or 3x5 on your Squats, but more information is probably needed to know what's going on. Have you tried getting online coaching or are you handling your own programming?

Can you more clearly outline your program? What did you do last week, for example, and on which days.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Can you more clearly outline your program? What did you do last week, for example, and on which days.
    Sure .
    So on monday I am doing volume press/bench , tuesday is my volume squat (75-80%) of intansity day , thursday I am doing intensity bench/press + curls and triceps and on friday I am doing intensity squat + deadlift and chin ups .
    Last week I did 147.5x5x5 on squats volume day (as I said , the weight moved well on all of the sets) , but for some reason (and its not the first time) , after a heavy 5x5 I am crushed few days afterwards (feel very very sore) .
    I am not missing a single workout .

Soreness is normal and expected after 5x5 squats. It's whatever sort of actual pain you're experiencing that matters and might be a problem. But you also say the volume day weights are all going up fast. Is that also true of the 5x5 squats? Seems weird that an easy weight would be giving you recovery problems.

Sure .
    So on monday I am doing volume press/bench , tuesday is my volume squat (75-80%) of intansity day , thursday I am doing intensity bench/press + curls and triceps and on friday I am doing intensity squat + deadlift and chin ups .
    Last week I did 147.5x5x5 on squats volume day (as I said , the weight moved well on all of the sets) , but for some reason (and its not the first time) , after a heavy 5x5 I am crushed few days afterwards (feel very very sore) .
    Use the following template to show me what you did:

Monday:
    Exericse: weightxrepsxsets
    Next exercise - weightxrepsxsets

Tuesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

From last week. Include any other details that don't fit the template.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sure .
    I have found that 2.5kg increments are less sustainable on volume work and the percentage relative to the intensity goes up, so I suggest doing 2kg for Squats and 2/2.5kg for Deadlifts.

Also: 147.5kg is 85% of 172.5kg, and 81% of 180kg, so you're not really doing 75-80%. You should calculate the percentage based on your 5RM if I recal correctly. Since 80% of you 1RM is gonna be pretty higher than 80% of your 5RM, therefore harder to do for 5x5.
    Mabye include your rest time between sets in the template Andrew gave you

Did you fix your form issues?

150 kg squat form problem

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Use the following template to show me what you did:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

From last week. Include any other details that don't fit the template.
    Weights in kg:
    Monday:
    Bench 91.25x4x5

Tuesday:
    Squat 147.5x5x5
    Rows 106.25x4x4

Thursday:
    Bench 105x2 + 105 x1x2
    Light press 52.5x5x3
    Biceps 5x6x20
    Triceps 5x8x20

Friday:
    Squat 175x2x3 - failed
    Deadlift 192.5x1x2 - gave a little bit more stress for the missed squat
    Chin ups BWx2xmax
    Lat pulldowns 118.25x5x2

Using the bike to get to the beach and back home , like 5 min cycleing so dont think I waste a bunch of calories on that .

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Did you fix your form issues?
    Yes , form is fine .

150 kg squat form problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast