starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missed reps while cycling intensity.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As Heinz said, the general recommendation is, stick to the schedule (i.e do your scheduled double and single and reattempt the triple at the same load on the next cycle). But, and this is a really big but: you need to examine why you missed the triple on only your fourth week running this. I know PPST3 talks about 10 pound jumps on this program phase but that may be too aggressive for you. It's also possible that you started the cycle too heavy. And it will depend on what your other pulling volume looks like, too.

I used this scheme on presses pretty successfully a couple years ago but I only used 2.5lb jumps.

I'm curious: is this your first time through a cycle? PPST recommends this for trainees who have gone through a full TM runout, which means they (should) start with weights they know they can lift, for the first cycle (I.e., either just at or just under all time PRs). If this is your first time through, you might have just pegged your starting weight too high. If you failed to lift a rep you have before, it's probably fatigue.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the comment Matt. Looking at my log, I'm chalking it up to a bad night sleep the night before. My landlord has been painting and the fumes put me in a coughing fit that made it hard to get some shut eye. Today, I continued the cycle and pulled my scheduled double with no real issues.

Maybach--this is my first time with cycling intensity reps. I fully ran out the TM and have pulled heavier sets than the one I failed, so you're probably right about the fatigue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12